About 25,000 people are estimated to have attended the Pride party in Preston Park in Brighton on Saturday (3 August).
And thousands more lined the streets for the parade and celebrated in the St James’s Street area at the 40th anniversary Pride event in Brighton.
The Brighton Pride organisers thanked the many volunteers who made the event possible and said: “There were some issues and there were problems but it was the biggest Brighton Pride ever.
“The main stage and all the artists were amazing and the weather was perfect.”
Sussex Police said that officers made 40 arrests related to the event, 24 of them in and around Preston Park.
Those arrested were suspected of offences that included sexual assault and battery, drug dealing, exposure, theft and drunkenness.
Detective Chief Inspector Paul Betts said: “Given the sheer size of this operation, I would say that overall, the day was a huge success and the vast majority of attendees will have experienced a wonderful festive weekend and will take home some great memories of Pride 2013.”
The 40 arrests included the following
- Max Whyborn, 21, of Ridgeside Avenue, Brighton, was arrested for affray and having class A drugs. He was charged with having drugs given a fixed penalty notice for affray.
- Another person arrested for affray and having class A drugs was still in custody.
- Two people were arrested for supplying drugs, with one bailed and one still in custody.
- Six people were held for having drugs with intent to supply. Four were bailed and two were still in custody.
- Two others were arrested for having drugs, one of whom was cautioned while the other was bailed.
- Five people were arrested for affray. Three of them were given fixed penalties and two were released facing no further action.
- A man was arrested for battery and sexual assault but faces no further action.
- A person arrested for exposure faces no further action.
- One person was held for assaulting a police officer and remained in custody.
- Another was arrested for a domestic assault and was still in custody.
- Three others were arrested for assault. One was bailed and two were cautioned.
- One person was arrested for assault and theft and remained in custody.
- One person was arrested for theft and was still in custody.
- One person was arrest for mugging and released on bail.
- Ten people were arrested for being drunk and disorderly. One of them, Kerry Canavan, 20, from Southsea, has been charged. A 14-year-old girl has been charged and a 16-year-old boy bailed. Six were given fixed penalties and one faces no further action.
- One person was arrested for being drunk and incapable and faces no further action.
- One person was bailed after being arrested for being drunk in charge of a vehicle.
- One person was arrested for a public order offence and cautioned.