Traveller evictions this year topped last year’s total by June

Posted On 21 Jul 2014
By :
Tag:

Brighton and Hove City Council applied for almost as many evictions in the first half of this year as the whole of last year.

From January 1 to June 19 2014, 20 court orders were filed, compared to 21 in 2013 – and 13 in 2012.

The figures were revealed in an anonymous Freedom of Information request published on the WhatDoTheyKnow website last week. 

Travellers in Stanmer Park last month

Travellers in Stanmer Park last month

The response also includes a breakdown of where and when the orders were filed and granted. It shows that this year, Preston Park, Stanmer Park, Waterhall playing fields and East Brighton Park were most affected.

The cost of each court application is £280, bringing the total court costs for those 21 evictions to £5,880.

The council has just been told the Government will not be calling in plans to build a new permanent traveller site at Horsdean, clearing the way for it to be built next to the existing transit site.

A council spokesman said: “Our aim is always to offer a measured and proportionate response to unauthorised encampments, balancing the needs of the settled community with those of the travelling community.

“In all our dealings with the traveller community we follow the law of the land scrupulously.

“County Court possession orders are applied for when this is considered to be the most appropriate course of action.

“Further information about how the council deals with traveller issues is available on our website.”

The council’s traveller page shows there are currently three unauthorised encampments on city council land at Beacon Hill, Wild Park and Sheepcote Valley, as well as van dwellers by the racecourse on Wilson Avenue.

Leave a Reply

*

Directory powered by Business Directory Plugin