Safety chiefs have issued a warning after firefighters were called out to a number of kitchen fires and alarms including two incidents in Brighton and Hove.
East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said that crews were sent from Hove and Preston Circus to Victoria Grove, Hove, behind Church Road, at about 5.45pm on Wednesday (16 August).
The fire service said: “There had been a small fire in an oven which was out on arrival.”
At about the same time firefighters from Roedean were called to reports of a fire alarm sounding in Eastern Road, Brighton.
The fire service said: “It was a false alarm caused by overheated food. A home safety visit was undertaken.
“The service is highlighting the need to keep an eye on cooking after several false alarms involving overheated food.
“More than half of accidental fires at home start in the kitchen. Many kitchen fires happen when people are not paying attention or they leave things unattended.
“There are several things you can do to prevent fires in the kitchen. Make sure you don’t get distracted when you are cooking and
- take pans off the heat or turn the heat down if you’re called away from the cooker, eg, by a phone call
- take care if you’re wearing loose clothing as it can catch fire easily
- don’t cook if you have been drinking alcohol or taken prescription drugs – you may get drowsy or lose concentration
“We are committed to helping people stay safe in their homes. One of the ways we do this is by carrying out home safety visits.
“These are offered to people who are most at risk from fires in their homes.
“Our specially trained staff will visit your home and give you advice on how to reduce the risk of having a fire. Find out more by calling on 0800 177 7069.”