Albion suffer striker setback as Hemed set to serve retrospective three-match ban

Brighton and Hove Albion striker Tomer Hemed will serve a three-match ban for an alleged stamp on Newcastle’s DeAndre Yedlin in the final minute of the Seagulls  1-0 win on Sunday. The incident went largely unnoticed at the time but was exacerbated by the claims of an NBC...
Posted On 27 Sep 2017 at 9:11 pm

Hundreds of homes approved as planners back £300m regeneration of Preston Barracks site in Brighton

Hundreds of homes are to be built as councillors gave planning permission for a £300 million regeneration of the long-derelict Preston Barracks site in Brighton. The Lewes Road scheme includes 369 homes and 1,338 student flats as well as a Central Research Laboratory for Brighton...
Posted On 27 Sep 2017 at 7:04 pm

Work to start on £30m Brighton A&E expansion before Christmas

Work is due to start before Christmas on a £30 million expansion of the Accident and Emergency (A&E) Department at the Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton. The first phase involves providing 35 spaces for patients arriving by ambulance. This is expected to be in place by...
Posted On 27 Sep 2017 at 6:26 pm

Brighton schoolgirl missing

A Brighton schoolgirl has been reported missing, Sussex Police said. The force has asked for the public’s help in trying to find 15-year-old Courtney Marsh, who lives in Worthing and goes to school in Brighton. Sussex Police said: “Police are concerned for the welfare of Courtney...
Posted On 27 Sep 2017 at 5:15 pm

Campaigner urges Brighton council leader to quit over holocaust denial claim

Brighton and Hove council leader Warren Morgan should quit, according to a political campaigner who was singled out by him for criticism. Tony Greenstein, 63, said that he had been made the subject of a McCarthyite smear by Councillor Morgan. Mr Greenstein said: “Warren Morgan...
Posted On 27 Sep 2017 at 4:45 pm

Missing Peacehaven man found safe and well

A man from Peacehaven who has been missing for almost a week has been safe and well, Sussex Police said this afternoon (Wednesday 27 September). Daniel Hollingworth, 29, of Collingwood Close, Peacehaven, went missing on Thursday 21 September. Sussex Police issued a public appeal...
Posted On 27 Sep 2017 at 3:54 pm

Brighton University chief makes the case for £300m Preston Barracks scheme

The £300 million Preston Barracks scheme “represents a unique opportunity to create huge economic and social benefit for Brighton”, planners were told this afternoon (Wednesday 27 September). Brighton University vice-chancellor Debra Humphris told councillors: “None of us are in...
Posted On 27 Sep 2017 at 3:26 pm

Parents given chance to have their say on school catchments – again

Another consultation on changes to school admissions arrangements starts on Monday – the second in two years in which parents will have their say. Last year, three different proposals to solve the thorny issue of balancing parent choice across the city with school viability...
Posted On 27 Sep 2017 at 3:09 pm

Sussex Police and Brighton environmental group object to £300m Preston Barracks scheme

Sussex Police and a Brighton environmental group have objected to a £300 million scheme to build hundreds of homes and student housing at Preston Barracks. Sussex police and crime commissioner Katy Bourne said that the force wanted a financial contribution from the developer...
Posted On 27 Sep 2017 at 2:46 pm

Police ask for public help to find missing Peacehaven man

Police have asked for public help to find a missing man from Peacehaven who has not been seen for almost a week. Sussex Police said: “Police are concerned for the welfare of Peacehaven man Daniel Hollingworth who has gone missing. “Daniel, 29, was last seen on Thursday (21...
Posted On 27 Sep 2017 at 1:56 pm
12