Fourth teenager arrested in Brighton pick-up truck attempted murder case

Posted On 12 Oct 2017 at 2:29 pm

A fourth teenager has been arrested in the Brighton pick-up truck attempted murder case.

The 15-year-old has been bailed until next month by Sussex Police while the victim remains in hospital in a serious but stable condition.

The victim was run over by a black Ford Ranger which is believed to have been stolen by five people from Balsdean Farm, Rottingdean. The £17,000 truck belonged to farmer Martin Carr.

Sussex Police said this afternoon (Thursday 12 October): “Officers investigating a suspected attempted murder in Patcham have arrested four youths.

Stoptober

“A teenager was seriously injured after being hit by a pick-up truck opposite the Ladies Mile pub in Warmdene Avenue at about 8.47pm on Saturday (7 October).

“A vehicle described as a black Ford Ranger, with a double cab and an open back, is reported to have run over the man before turning around and going over him again as his body lay on the floor. It then made off from the scene east on Mackie Avenue.

“The victim, a 19-year-old local man, had been walking home with friends when the incident occurred.

“He was taken to Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton where he remains in a serious but stable condition.

“No one else was injured.

“A black pick-up truck matching the description of the vehicle involved in the incident was found burnt out at Stanmer Park on Sunday afternoon and recovered by police.

“A 17-year-old boy from Brighton was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, theft of a vehicle and theft from a vehicle. He was released without charge for theft from a vehicle and charged with theft of a vehicle to appear at Worthing Youth Court on (Thursday) 9 November. He has been recalled to custody on breach of licence.

“A 15-year-old boy from Brighton, arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, has been released on bail until (Monday) 6 November.

“A 14-year-old boy from Brighton, arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, has been released under investigation.

“Another 15-year-old boy from Brighton, arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, theft of a vehicle and theft from a vehicle, has been released on bail until (Tuesday) 7 November.”

Detective Inspector Ian Still said: “We have arrested four teenagers in connection with this incident, which we believe was a deliberate act.

“We’re really keen to speak anyone who may have seen a black Ford Ranger, which was dirty in appearance, driving in or around the area over the weekend.

“Inquiries are still ongoing and we would urge any witnesses, or anyone with any information, to report it online quoting Operation Morston.

“Alternatively, you can visit the Crimestoppers website or contact the independent charity anonymously on 0800 555111.”

Leave a Reply

*