Planners back scheme for Hove pub to be demolished and replaced with 33 homes

Posted On 12 Oct 2017 at 12:46 am

Planning permission has been granted for a Hove pub to be demolished and replaced with 33 homes, including a four-storey block of flats.

The Downsman in Hangleton Way could be pulled down next spring or summer for work to start on two terraces of houses and a block of 23 flats.

The two terraces of two-storey houses will include four two-bedroom homes and six with three bedrooms.

Stoptober

The flats will be in a four-storey block, including a couple of penthouse flats on the top two floors.

If all goes well, people could start moving in to the new homes in about two years’ time.

Plans for the housing – and an area set aside for community use – were discussed by Brighton and Hove City Council planners at Hove Town Hall this afternoon (Wednesday 11 October).

The council’s Planning Committee voted unanimously in favour of the scheme which is conditional on the applicants agreeing to pay financial contributions totalling just over £200,000.

The applicants were listed as the Southern Housing Group, Southern Housing executive Colin Thomas, Perth Securities and Perth director John Bacon.

The developers’ contribution would be go towards open space and recreation, local schools, an employment scheme, sustainable transport and “an artistic component” to be “commissioned and installed on the property”.

The pub, which has a distinctive green roof, shut for good three years ago and hoardings have fronted the site almost ever since.

The one-acre site includes the scruffy neighbouring field where horses were once kept.

Councillor Dan Yates said that, although he didn’t like to lose a pub, the scheme was a good solution for an area that needs housing more than it needs a pub.

And he praised the proportion of “affordable” housing – 40 per cent – which was in line with council policy.

An artist’s impression of the two terraces fronting Hangleton Way, on the Downsman site, with the proposed four-storey block of flats behind – Courtesy of Nicholas Dexter Studio / Yelo Architects

Councillor Julie Cattell, who chairs the Planning Committee, said that she was delighted that more housing had been approved.

Councillor Tony Janio, who represents Hangleton and Knoll Ward, which includes the site, said that it was “an excellent scheme” that included family housing and affordable homes.

He said that he hoped for some of the developers’ contribution towards local open spaces to be spent on the Dyke footpath and cycle track which runs along the old railway line.

It was a gateway to the Downs and he wanted it to be more attractive and welcoming.

After the meeting he said: “I’m delighted that we’re getting new homes – 40 per cent of them affordable – after all the patience and hard work of the developers, council officers and ward councillors.

“I’m also pleased that there will be some shared community space on the site although the detail is still to be finalised.”

An artist’s impression of part of the scheme to replace the Downsman pub with new homes in Hangleton Way, with the proposed four-storey block of flats behind – Courtesy of Nicholas Dexter Studio / Yelo Architects

  1. NIck Reply

    I don’t think this pub will ever be busy or successful again

Leave a Reply

*