More arrests expected as police examine video of Palace match disorder

Posted On 30 Nov 2017 at 11:08 am

More arrests could be made in the coming days as police work to identify those who took part in the violence at the Albion match against Crystal Palace on Tuesday night.

This video of the moment Palace fans stormed the turnstiles, in which it’s believed a Palace steward broke his ribs, emerged yesterday as it was widely circulated on fan forums and Facebook pages.

And video footage of fans setting off flares and fireworks outside the stadium, believed to be an attempt to distract sniffer dogs, was also published yesterday on Twitter.

Six arrests have already been made in relation to disorder both at the stadium and at Brighton Station earlier in the evening.

But as police examine this video footage, CCTV and film from many other sources, it’s likely more will be made.

A police spokesman said this morning: “Sussex Police are viewing CCTV and video from a wide variety of sources with a view to identifying and taking action against those involved in the disorder on Tuesday night.”

Christmas recycling

The day started with a mural of Albion captain Bruno Saltor being daubed with red paint and CPFC tags appearing around the city.

At lunchtime, notorious Palace fan group the Holmesdale Fanatics posted a picture of themselves in Queens Road, urging fans to come to Buddies on the seafront “for a couple before we beat the scum.”

By late afternoon, groups of masked men who police believe were fans of both sides, were scuffling with each other and police around the city.

A large group of Palace fans were escorted away from the train station before the match after causing trouble there.

At the stadium, a crowd of Palace fans attempted to first break into the Amex through the south stand fire doors, and then later ticketless away fans overran the turnstiles to get into the south stand, where fireworks were let off throughout the match.

Two stewards, one from each side, were taken to hospital and several more left with minor injuries, but were able to prevent greater numbers entering.< Chief Inspector Simon Nelson said yesterday: "I have been involved in football policing at all levels and have been a match commander for Albion matches for 12 years, but I have never come across such concerted attempts to cause disorder and engage in violent behaviour. "This was a return to the dark days of football and is not acceptable."

Leave a Reply

*