• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
17 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton and Hove Health and Wellbeing Board holds first meeting

by Frank le Duc
Monday 14 May, 2012 at 2:59AM
A A
1

Brighton and Hove’s Health and Wellbeing Board met for the first time last week behind closed doors.

Health and Wellbeing Boards are one of the new bodies created by the coalition government’s health reforms.

The Department of Health said that they had been set up to “strengthen the democratic legitimacy of commissioning decisions”.

It added that they should also be “providing a forum for challenge, discussion and the involvement of local people”.

In Brighton and Hove local people have not yet been told that the board exists or that it has met, which it did last Tuesday (8 May).

Councillor Rob Jarrett

It is operating as a shadow board until April next year with no meetings scheduled to be held in public.

The board is expected to go live – and public – after the abolition of primary care trusts (PCTs), including Brighton and Hove City PCT.

The shadow Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) – a slimmed down replacement for the PCT – will go live at the same time.

The CCG, which is intended to put general practitioners (GPs) in charge of commissioning local health services, has indicated that it is likely to meet in public from September.

At last week’s shadow Health and Wellbeing Board meeting the members were presented with their brief – or terms of reference.

The draft terms of reference said that the board would act as an advisory body to Brighton and Hove City Council, the PCT and the CCG.

The board’s aim was to “lead and advise on work to improve the health and wellbeing of the population of Brighton and Hove”.

It is expected to do this “through the development of improved and integrated health and social care services”.

It will also be expected to operate by “involving users and the public, including to communicate and explain the JHWS (joint health and wellbeing strategy) to local organisations and city residents”.

The board will be chaired by Councillor Rob Jarrett and the membership includes two other Greens – Councillor Ben Duncan and Councillor Sue Shanks.

It includes two Conservative members – Councillor Denise Cobb and Councillor Ken Norman – and two Labour members – Councillor Anne Meadows and Councillor Craig Turton.

It also includes the council’s director of children’s services Terry Parkin and its director of adult social care Denise D’Souza.

Xavier Nalletamby

Dr Tom Scanlon, the director of public health, is also a member along with Dr Xavier Nalletamby, the chairman of the CCG, and Geraldine Hoban, the chief operating officer of the CCG.

The first meeting of the shadow board received a paper about the “joint strategic needs assessment” which councils and PCTs currently have a legal duty to produce. The Health and Wellbeing Board will take over this duty from next April.

The public is likely to be asked for its input to the strategic needs assessment in July when a consultation is planned to start.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. David says:
    13 years ago

    Given the press report below may I ask, academically, how you will be empowered to delver a proscribed substance which is outlawed for use as a recreational drug.

    Just asking – it would appear to make your organisaton “above the law”………..

    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2308939/Addicts-given-safe-rooms-inject-heroin-Brighton-Council-tries-shake-label-Britains-drug-death-captial.html

    Thanks

    David

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Brighton and Hove Health and Wellbeing Board holds first meeting

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Ghibli comes to Brighton

Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn

Three sentenced over Brighton firearms offences

Sussex University staff vote to strike to try to save jobs

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury Flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ celebrates 30th anniversary as punk rock turns 50 – Day Two Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ celebrates 30th anniversary as punk rock turns 50 – Day Two Report

14 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
May 2012
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
« Apr   Jun »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
  • Police declare major incident as two people badly hurt when train derails 13 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News