• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
24 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Labour candidate sues own party

by Jo Wadsworth
Thursday 27 Apr, 2023 at 6:21PM
A A
3

A Labour candidate is suing her own party over a leaked report which named her and several other anti-semitism activists.

Julie Cattell, who is standing for election next week in Westbourne and Poets Corner, was one of seven Labour Against Anti-Semitism members named in a report into how the party dealt with the issue under Jeremy Corbyn.

The report, which was written by party staff but not officially published, said they co-ordinated complaints against various individuals.

After it was leaked in April 2020, they launched a legal case against the party for misusing their private information.

All seven applied for anonymity, and their names were withheld pending a ruling. But this week, five of them dropped the application, partly because of the legal costs, and they were named for the first time.

Ms Cattell said: “This isn’t about politics. It’s about a breach of GDPR and trust that occurred under the previous general secretary when Jeremy Corbyn was still leader.

“As a result of the leak, threatening articles were published on neo-Nazi websites, which was extremely frightening for all of us.

“I remain totally committed to the Labour Party and hope the lawyers settle the case soon so all parties involved can move on.”

The defendant in the case, initially named as the Labour Party, but subsequently amended to Labour’s general secretary David Evans, is seeking to add five former Labour staff as third parties, on the basis they were responsible for the leak.

They are Corbyn’s former chief of staff Karie Murphy, his head of communications Seumas Milne, Georgina Robertson, Harry Hayball and Laura Murray.

The individuals against whom LAAS made complaints are not named in the leaked report, but several Labour members in Brighton and Hove were suspended or expelled after allegations of anti-semitism in the time period covered, 2014-19.

These include Tony Greenstein, who was expelled in February 2018 after allegations of harassment and abuse of fellow members, including dubbing them Zios, a term singled out as anti-semitic by the party.

The leaked report mentions Mr Greenstein as one of a handful of high-profile anti-semitism cases.

Two Labour councillors – Anne Pissaridou and Kate Knight – who were suspended over allegations of anti-semitism in 2020 but subsequently left the party are standing as independents in North Portslade and Coldean and Stanmer.

The leaked report was intended for, but never submitted to, an investigation by the equalities watchdog and it alleged that staff had worked to undermine Jeremy Corbyn’s leadership.

It was leaked in April 2020, shortly after Keir Starmer became the new leader of the party. One of those who posted it on social media was the Brighton Kemptown MP, Lloyd Russell-Moyle, who put it on the Brighton Labour Party Facebook group.

Mr Russell-Moyle said this week: “The link to the report had already been posted in the Labour Facebook group when I made my personal comment.

“The reposted link was deleted when I was made aware that it contained some unredacted names in the annexes and footnotes.

“I never had a copy of the report myself.

“I was personally abused in that leaked report for which the subsequent Forde Report, commissioned by Keir Starmer, found there was a culture of such instances in the party from 2011-18.

“We’ve made good progress righting some of these wrongs and I look forward to recommendations of the Forde Report being implemented so no members are abused in the future.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 3

  1. Susie says:
    3 years ago

    Oh dear!

    Reply
  2. Adam Taylor says:
    3 years ago

    Can you provide evidence of this please?

    Reply
  3. John Donn says:
    3 years ago

    https://skwawkbox.org/2023/04/30/labour-imposes-right-wing-laas-candidate-whos-suing-party-and-was-reminded-for-racism/

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Pub tile developer asks court to make council pay his costs

Former Brighton teacher awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13

Palm house turned into butterfly garden

Labour candidate sues own party

Phone-free restaurant finds permanent home

New bus route to start next month

Opposition overlooked and left in the dark, says councillor

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

Hospital marks £860m project’s helipad and cancer milestones

Missing boy found safe

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Max Cooper announces two 3D/AV shows

Max Cooper announces two 3D/AV shows

24 May 2026
Here’s a night out not to be missed!

Here’s a night out not to be missed!

24 May 2026
Irvine Welsh, Men In Love, Charleston Festival, 23rd May 2026

Irvine Welsh charms the Charleston Festival

24 May 2026
Oh To Believe in Another World: Shostakovich Symphony No.10

Oh To Believe In Another World

23 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion reach Europe despite losing to Man Utd

Brighton and Hove Albion reach Europe despite losing to Man Utd

by Ed Elliot - PA
24 May 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Manchester United 3 The Seagulls have qualified for European football for only the second time...

All to play for as Brighton and Hove Albion host Manchester United

All to play for as Brighton and Hove Albion host Manchester United

by Frank le Duc
24 May 2026
0

Fabian Hürzeler has made three changes from last week as Brighton and Hove Albion host Manchester United in the final...

Welbeck double sinks Liverpool at Brighton and Hove Albion

Welbeck deserves a World Cup place, says Brighton and Hove Albion boss

by PA sport staff
23 May 2026
0

Danny Welbeck deserves a place in the England World Cup squad, according to Brighton and Hove Albion head coach Fabian...

Sussex Sharks open T20 Blast with a win

Sussex off to a winning start in the Blast

by Martin Smith - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 May 2026
0

Essex 191-5 (20 overs) Sussex Sharks 192-4 (16 overs) Sussex Sharks win by 6 wickets John Simpson hurried Sussex Sharks...

Load More
April 2023
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
« Mar   May »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Woman dies as car and motorbikes crash 24 May 2026
  • Former assistant head awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13 23 May 2026
  • Biggest hospital in Sussex marks two key milestones 22 May 2026
  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News