• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton cabaret set to re-open under new management

by Jo Wadsworth
Tuesday 28 Apr, 2026 at 12:07PM
A A
0
Brighton cabaret set to re-open under new management

A Brighton cabaret which closed suddenly – twice – is set to reopen under completely new management.

Haus of Cabaret, run by Alex Proud, was shuttered up in January after the new owner put up notices announcing it was kicking out the operator for not paying rent.

Mr Proud briefly took back the venue in St George’s Road and announced new shows – but these were cancelled and the premises closed down by the fire service in March.

Now, the freeholder Tokyo Industries has leased it to cabaret promoters Luke Shaw and Josh Gomez, who are planning to relaunch the venue as Madam Lola’s at the end of next month.

They have pledged to run the cabaret with “respect, transparency and properly paid talent”.

Shows will take place on Friday and Saturday evenings, with tickets sold for 120 seated guests. Drag brunches with unlimited prosecco for 90 minutes take place on Saturday afternoons.

Luke Shaw has worked as an aerial acrobat and production director and has worked for companies and event including Forgotten Circus, the Brit Awards and the Isle of Wight Festival.

Josh Gomez has worked for Cirque Le Soir, The Box Soho and Virgin Voyages.

Mr Shaw said: “The best nights out are the ones where you’re not entirely sure what’s going to happen next.

“That’s what we’ve built here. Madam Lola’s isn’t about standing around with a drink, it’s about being pulled into something.

“If you leave with a story, we’ve done it right.”

By the time Haus of Cabaret closed its doors for the final time, a string of former employees had won employment tribunal rulings ordering the operator West End Galleries to pay oustanding wages.

Trading Standards is also investigating complaints from customers who bought tickets for shows cancelled at the last minute.

The venue finally closed after East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service issued a prohibition notice on 13 March banning any use of the premises except to make repairs.

This was on the basis of a lack of fire detection and warning, and a lack of emergency lighting to the escape routes.

It required the responsible person to either reinstate the existing systems or provide new ones.

Madam Lola’s says when it took over the venue, it had been in a “neglected state for some time”.

It says it has worked closely with the fire service and all systems have been completed and signed off, adding: “Safety and compliance have been a non-negotiable priority throughout.”

The fire service website shows the notice was lifted on 22 April.

The venue reopens on 29 May. Tickets are on sale here.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Brighton cabaret set to re-open under new management

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Conservation charity urges companies to use native wildflowers in displays

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Grieving parents concerned as maternity services told to improve again

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
April 2026
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930  
« Mar   May »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News