• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Voters to quiz by-election candidates at hustings

by Frank le Duc
Thursday 20 Aug, 2026 at 8:53AM
A A
1
Ever heard of Brighton’s Italianate Attree Villa that was designed by the Houses of Parliament architect ? No? Then read on…………………………

The Pepper Pot

A hustings has been organised to give voters a chance to put questions to candidates a week before polling day in the Queen’s Park by-election.

The event has been organised by St Luke’s Residents’ Association, a non-political organisation, and is due to take place at St Luke’s Church Hall, in Brighton.

Candidates will be invited to take part in the hustings from 7pm to 8.30pm on Thursday 17 September.

They will be standing for a seat on Brighton and Hove City Council, with polling day set for Thursday 24 September.

The by-election is the third in the two-member ward since the local elections in May 2023 and was called after Labour councillor Mill Gauge resigned because of safeguarding concerns for gender-confused children.

The organisers said: “Come along and hear from the candidates standing in the council by-election.

“Each candidate will have five minutes to address the audience and then there will be questions from members to the candidates.”

They added that the event would be free and open to all local people but residents’ association members would be given precedence in the question and answer part of the meeting.

The residents’ association said that it was “easy to join – just a fiver and you can pay on the door!”

So far, three candidates have been announced – Mark Strong for the Greens, John Shepherd for Reform UK and Rüdiger Dikty-Daudiyan, also known as Rüdi Dikty, for the Liberal Democrats.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Adrian Hart says:
    1 hour ago

    I’m pleased to see a Hustings being organised, and as someone who has stood as an independent candidate in Queen’s Park before, I hope voters will use it to ask some difficult questions about the issue that has led to this by-election.

    At the 2024 Queen’s Park by-election that elected Milla the Hustings gave me an opportunity to raise concerns about safeguarding in schools and the Council’s approach to gender-questioning children. At the time, both the Green and Liberal Democrat candidates dismissed what I was saying as “anti-trans rhetoric”. As her resignation statement makes clear, Milla found herself increasingly concerned about child protection and the Council’s approach to these issues.

    Since then, the WellBN investigation has identified catastrophic failings and potential harm to children receiving gender-related care locally. Yet calls for the Council to examine the wider safeguarding implications — including the relationship between schools, Council services and healthcare — have still not resulted in the independent review many parents believe is necessary.

    I hope candidates at this hustings will therefore be asked a simple question: do you recognise the need for an independent review of pupil safeguarding in relation to Council services and schools, and would you support one if elected?

    That seems to me a reasonable question for Queen’s Park voters to put to every candidate, whatever their views on the wider gender debate.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Voters to quiz by-election candidates at hustings

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
August 2026
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  
« Jul    

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News