• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

by Frank le Duc
Sunday 23 Aug, 2026 at 8:23AM
A A
0
Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Fabian Hürzeler

Brighton and Hove Albion are preparing to host Aston Villa in their opening fixture of the Premier League season this afternoon (Sunday 23 August).

Albion head coach Fabian Hürzeler said that he was relishing a “great opportunity” to play across different competitions this season.

As well as the challenges of the Premier League and domestic cup competitions, the Seagulls are also vying for a place in the league phase of the Europa Conference League.

In their Conference League play-off match on Thursday (20 August), Brighton were held to a goalless draw at Tromso and face the Norwegian side again in their reverse fixture next Thursday at the Amex.

Hürzeler said: “It’s a great opportunity that we have this challenge that we can learn from. From having more games, we can grow into these moments where we play in several competitions.

“That’s what the club want to do. That’s what in general we see as a club as the next step.

“Hopefully, we can qualify next week then we’re looking forward to playing in several competitions. That means also new challenges but we feel we’re ready for that.”

Brighton will be without four injured players as they face Aston Villa in their first match of the new season at 2pm this afternoon.

Hürzeler said: “Carlos (Baleba) and (Yankuba) Minteh, they won’t be available. Then Kaoru (Mitoma) is still in his rehab, Stefanos Tzimas is still in his rehab, so therefore I think these four players they will miss out. Besides that, we have no new injuries.”

Two of the injured players continue to be the subject of transfer talk, with Manchester United – beaten 2-0 yesterday by newly promoted Hull City – reported to have agreed a deal worth £70 million (£65 million plus add-ons) for 22-year-old Cameroon international Baleba.

Brighton are reported to have rejected two bids from Liverpool for 22-year-old Gambia international Yankuba Minteh – first for £50 million and then for £60 million.

Albion fans may be used to supporting a selling club but Aston Villa boss Unai Emery admitted that the summer exodus of star players at Villa Park had surprised him.

Villa have already lost Morgan Rogers, Ezri Konsa, Lucas Digne and Youri Tielemans this summer, with Ollie Watkins and Emiliano Martinez also looking likely to leave before the transfer window closes.

Emery has been able to replace some of his key men but the Spaniard was not expecting the scale of the rebuild.

He said: “Definitely not expecting the changes we were doing but last year when we finished sixth and played PSG in the quarter-finals, we didn’t have a lot of movement around players.

“This year is completely different. Maybe it was winning the Europa League or finishing fourth but more or less both seasons were similar in performance.

“This year they have come for our players but I accept it and we have to be positive again.

“We will need time but we are involved in everything, trying to be demanding doing things. We are also trying to be demanding to join players in the squad and keep the performance.

“The fans were patient when we arrived here. We changed the style and idea. We needed to teach the supporters about the new way we wanted to build.

“We want to keep the same idea and objective and ambition with the new players. We have to be patient with the new players. If we need time to get it then we have to be patient.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Constance Marten given permission to appeal against her sentence

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

by Frank le Duc
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are preparing to host Aston Villa in their opening fixture of the Premier League season this...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Load More
August 2026
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  
« Jul    

RSS From Sussex News

  • Drug line controller jailed for seven years 23 August 2026
  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News