• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton faces losing coach services

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 3 Aug, 2011 at 8:46AM
A A
0

Thousands of coach passengers face a big reduction in services to and from Brighton if a concessionary scheme is axed, according to a senior industry figure.

Andrew Cleaves, a senior executive at National Express, Britain’s biggest coach operator, said that 53,000 passengers leave or arrive in Brighton by coach each year.

And these account for one in seven coach journeys that begin or end in the town.

Many of those arriving by coach are tourists and shoppers who spend money in local shops, cafés, bars, pubs and restaurants.

Mr Cleaves has written to Simon Kirby, the Conservative MP for Brighton Kemptown, who has in turn written to Transport Secretary Philip Hammond to raise the matter.

The threat comes from the withdrawal of the coach concessionary travel scheme from the end of October.

The decision to scrap the scheme, which gives half-price coach travel to over 60s and the disabled, was announced in the comprehensive spending review last year.

It was projected to save £20 million a year.

Impact

Mr Cleaves said: “I do not believe that the Department for Transport has fully considered the impact of the scheme’s withdrawal.

“It is different to the free bus pass scheme but is very popular.”

He said that the announcement “appeared to run counter – at least to the spirit – of the Prime Minister’s statements ahead of the general election to protect free bus passes for disabled and those over 60”.

He added: “The viability of a number of our services is threatened.

“The scheme’s withdrawal could not only affect the ability of those currently eligible to travel, but also have a knock-on effect on the viability of some existing services which currently serve Brighton.

“A reduction in existing service levels would, of course, affect many more passengers than those who directly benefit from the concessionary scheme.”

Mr Kirby asked Mr Hammond to consider “the impact on local coach services of the withdrawal of the coach concessionary travel scheme”.

He said: “Many older people use the scheme to get around by discounted coach tickets to see family and friends and this boosts the number of services that can be run and operated.

“I have asked the Transport Secretary to comment on National Express’s concerns and how Brighton’s coach services will be affected.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

New bus route to start next month

Pub tile developer asks court to make council pay his costs

Palm house turned into butterfly garden

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

Brighton faces losing coach services

Councillors vote to close oldest school in Brighton

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

Phone-free restaurant gets permanent home

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Odeon developer asks permission for 12-month ad shroud

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Oh To Believe in Another World: Shostakovich Symphony No.10

Oh To Believe In Another World

23 May 2026
Robocop vs The Terminator vs Gabriel Featherstone

Robocop vs The Terminator vs Gabriel Featherstone vs direction

23 May 2026
We Are Warriors, Cab Road Tunnel, Brighton Festival

We Are Warriors, Cab Road Tunnel, Brighton Festival

23 May 2026
Whisky Tango Foxtrot, Lantern Theatre, Brighton Fringe, May 22&23rd 2026

Review: Whisky Tango Foxtrot!

23 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
August 2011
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
« Jul   Sep »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
  • Three months of work to start at railway station 20 May 2026
  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News