• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
24 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Saltdean Lido lessee to consider giving up lease

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 8 Feb, 2012 at 8:13PM
A A
0

Solicitors for the Saltdean Lido lessee Dennis Audley have said that he would actively consider giving up his lease.

Talks are to be held soon.

The move follows a letter from Brighton and Hove City Council to Mr Audley’s company Power Fitness Ltd or PFL.

The letter urged him to negotiate the terms of an agreed surrender of the lease.

Geoffrey Bowden, the Green council’s cabinet member for culture, recreation and tourism, reported back on progress at a meeting yesterday (Tuesday 7 February).

Councillor Bowden said that a surveyor had been appointed to value the grade II* listed lido.

The council will use the surveyor’s report to assess the likely surrender value of the lease and the amount to be paid if a compulsory purchase order is made.

David Murray, the council’s strategic director of commnities, told the meeting that compulsory purchase would be a last resort.

Labour councillor Brian Fitch said that it was important that the council should be prepared to step in and force the surrender of the lease if necessary.

The council’s planning enforcement team is expected to send Mr Audley a warning letter about the state of the lido, which has been the subject of a campaign by worried residents.

A surveyor is assessing whether the council should serve a listed building repairs notice on Mr Audley – a step urged by Brighton Kemptown MP Simon Kirby at a council meeting last year.

Councillor Bowden also reported that the lessee met council planners to discuss PFL’s plans for the site but these were not favourably received.

He added that the council was trying to ensure that its actions did not prejudice the position of the Saltdean Community Association which has an interest in the lido site.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Pub tile developer asks court to make council pay his costs

Former Brighton teacher awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13

Palm house turned into butterfly garden

Phone-free restaurant finds permanent home

Saltdean Lido lessee to consider giving up lease

New bus route to start next month

Opposition overlooked and left in the dark, says councillor

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

Hospital marks £860m project’s helipad and cancer milestones

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Max Cooper announces two 3D/AV shows

Max Cooper announces two 3D/AV shows

24 May 2026
Here’s a night out not to be missed!

Here’s a night out not to be missed!

24 May 2026
Irvine Welsh, Men In Love, Charleston Festival, 23rd May 2026

Irvine Welsh Delights The Charleston Festival

24 May 2026
Oh To Believe in Another World: Shostakovich Symphony No.10

Oh To Believe In Another World

23 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
All to play for as Brighton and Hove Albion host Manchester United

All to play for as Brighton and Hove Albion host Manchester United

by Frank le Duc
24 May 2026
0

Fabian Hürzeler has made three changes from last week as Brighton and Hove Albion host Manchester United in the final...

Welbeck double sinks Liverpool at Brighton and Hove Albion

Welbeck deserves a World Cup place, says Brighton and Hove Albion boss

by PA sport staff
23 May 2026
0

Danny Welbeck deserves a place in the England World Cup squad, according to Brighton and Hove Albion head coach Fabian...

Sussex Sharks open T20 Blast with a win

Sussex off to a winning start in the Blast

by Martin Smith - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 May 2026
0

Essex 191-5 (20 overs) Sussex Sharks 192-4 (16 overs) Sussex Sharks win by 6 wickets John Simpson hurried Sussex Sharks...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Load More
February 2012
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
272829  
« Jan   Mar »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Woman dies as car and motorbikes crash 24 May 2026
  • Former assistant head awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13 23 May 2026
  • Biggest hospital in Sussex marks two key milestones 22 May 2026
  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News