• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton and Hove’s 20mph zone grows by hundreds of streets

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 11 Dec, 2013 at 4:14PM
A A
2

Most of Brighton and West Hove will have a 20mph speed limit after a vote by councillors today (Wednesday 11 December).

Conservative and Labour members of Brighton and Hove City Council voted to exempt a few roads which are heavily used by buses and taxis.

Then, with the Greens, they all agreed to go ahead with the next stage – phase 2 – of the 20mph programme.

The decision was taken at Hove Town Hall at a special meeting of the council’s Environment, Transport and Sustainability Committee.

Speed limit orders will be advertised shortly, giving objectors one last chance to raise their concerns as the orders are subject to consultation.

The final sign-off for the second phase of the three-phase scheme is expected to be given in March.

The first phase went live in April when the 20mph came into force throughout much of central Brighton and Hove.

A report to councillors today said that the scheme’s aims were

  • to reduce the risk, number and severity of road collisions and casualties
  • to help create pleasant, people-centred streets and public space
  • to encourage and enable more active travel
  • to encourage and enable independent mobility for children, older and other vulnerable people

The extended area covers much of the suburbs, from Portslade in the west to Moulsecoomb and Whitehawk in the east and Patcham in the north.

Among the roads removed from the scheme by opposition councillors were Portland Road in Hove which remains at 30mph pending further monitoring.

The move followed representations by bus and taxi companies. Councillor Garry Peltzer Dunn pointed out that a majority of residents opposed the proposed change.

Stanford Avenue and Preston Drove will also stay at 30mph.

A decision on part of Hollingbury bounded by and including Ditchling Road, Surrenden Road, Braybon Avenue and Carden Avenue was deferred indefinitely.

As a result they all retain a 30mph speed limit for the foreseeable future.

The council carried out a survey of 58,000 homes in nine areas of the city earlier this year.

Nearly 15,000 people responded to the consultation with 51 per cent supporting the proposed reduction of the speed limit to 20mph.

A deputation to the meeting urged councillors to include streets around Hove Park and Hove Recreation Ground but was rejected.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. Lee Williams says:
    12 years ago

    With so much pro-20 zone propaganda in the air and with so many pressure groups being pro-20 too, it is pleasing to see the relatively low number in favour of 20 zones. I can only wonder what would have happened if so much energy had been available to the anti-20 zone brigade.

    Reply
  2. Lee Williams says:
    12 years ago

    With so much pro-20 zone propaganda in the air and with so many pressure groups being pro-20 too, it is pleasing to see the relatively low number in favour of 20 zones. I can only wonder what would have happened if so much energy had been available to the anti-20 zone brigade.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council plans to house more homeless families in council flats

Parents angry over failings that led to school closure plan

Toilet tax plan to hit those in greatest need, say critics

Council plans to close day centre for people with learning disabilities

School building to become temporary charity hub

Brighton and Hove’s 20mph zone grows by hundreds of streets

Ex-PM sends claims about former prince to Sussex Police

Hospital marks milestone in £62m A&E modernisation

Brighton PC barred from policing for dishonesty

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Bloodworm set to bring their Goth Post-Punk sound back to Brighton

Bloodworm set to bring their Goth Post-Punk sound back to Brighton

22 February 2026
Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

20 February 2026
It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

20 February 2026
Brighton Festival at 60

Brighton Festival at 60

19 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

by George Sessions - PA
21 February 2026
0

Brentford 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 2 Brighton and Hove Albion marked James Milner’s record-breaking 654th Premier League appearance with...

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

by Frank le Duc
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are to start with four changes at Brentford to the side that lost to Liverpool in...

Hürzeler says Brighton and Hove Albion may need to ‘win ugly’

Brighton and Hove Albion boss urges everyone to stay positive

by PA sport staff
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has urged everyone involved with the club to stay positive despite the side’s...

Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Load More
December 2013
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031  
« Nov   Jan »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Driver arrested after man dies in crash late last night 21 February 2026
  • Ex-PM sends memo about former prince to Sussex Police 20 February 2026
  • Teenage BMW driver banned – again 19 February 2026
  • Gross misconduct found after police officer deceived vetting 19 February 2026
  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News