• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Arts and Culture

Brighton and Hove’s biggest fireworks display cancelled

by Jo Wadsworth
Monday 6 Oct, 2014 at 2:24PM
A A
2
Brighton and Hove’s biggest fireworks display cancelled

Sussex CCC have confirmed that this year’s annual Brighton Lions Fireworks Night has been cancelled.

Sussex CCCDue to extensive renovations on the outfield at The BrightonandHoveJobs.com County Ground, which have progressed since the conclusion of the cricket season, it will not be possible to hold the event next month as usual.

The work has been planned since November 2013, hence why Sussex’s last two LV=County Championship matches of the 2014 season were away from home, meaning the risk to the Firework display was identified almost twelve months ago.

It had been hoped that the event, which is organised by the Brighton Lions in conjunction with the Sussex County Cricket Supporters’ Club, would be able to find an alternative venue but this has now not been possible.

Sussex’s Chief Executive Zac Toumazi said, “We are deeply disappointed that the Fireworks Night will not be able to take place.

“It really is a significant event in the calendar for us, and indeed the Lions in terms of their fundraising efforts, and a really enjoyable occasion.

“Unfortunately the major work on the outfield this autumn means it is simply not possible to accommodate a vast number of people.

“We have worked with the Brighton Lions and offered them our support in finding an alternative venue but despite this proving fruitless we are indebted to running the show next year and we will be back bigger and better than ever before.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. Rostrum says:
    12 years ago

    A real shame…

    Does beg the question why the decision came so late and why the possibility was not recognised!
    Planning for this earlier would have allowed for an alternate location to be found.
    Unfortunately one month is not long enough for such things.

    Reply
  2. Pete says:
    12 years ago

    I was bowled over by this bad news. At first I thought it was spin but now I find that its true. This is simply not cricket. Their good work will be stumped for the year. Lets hope someone can bail them…

    …and I’m not saying anything about the Sharks that run the place!

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Brighton and Hove’s biggest fireworks display cancelled

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
October 2014
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
« Sep   Nov »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News