• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton charity burgled for a second time

by Frank le Duc
Monday 21 Jan, 2013 at 2:56PM
A A
0

A Brighton charity has been burgled over the Christmas break for a second year running.

Thieves broke into the offices of Threshold, the vulnerable women’s support centre, in Brighton, on New Year’s Eve or New Year’s Day.

They made off with a new camera and the safe containing £200 in cash and stamps worth £250.

They stole a Nintendo Wii and a collection of games which had been lent to the charity by a member of staff to enjoy over the Christmas period.

And they also stole a £1,000 cheque – the proceeds of a Christmas fundraising fair organised by clients – but the charity stopped the cheque before it could be cashed.

Clinical and operations manager Melanie Barnard said: “They even stole all our drop-in tea and coffee.”

A year earlier, on Christmas Eve, they stole more than £400 cash and left a trail of damage in what appeared to be a search for the safe keys.

Threshold, the women’s counselling and crèche service, is a Brighton Housing Trust (BHT) project.

It helps women experiencing emotional distress and mental ill health who live in Brighton and Hove and the surrounding area.

Melanie Barnard said: “We all feel very sad to have been burgled and unfortunately this is the second time it has happened.

“It has not been confirmed yet but it is looking very unlikely that our insurance will cover the loss and we simply do not have the money to replace the items.

“We have had to cancel the photography group, an activity that our clients had asked us to provide.

“The groups had been planned as an activity for the new year to help our clients to build their confidence and self-esteem.”

Staff at Threshold appealed for anyone who received a new camera for Christmas to consider donating their old one to the charity to enable them to run the photography group as planned.

Donations can also be sent by cheque to Brighton Housing Trust, 144 London Road, Brighton, BN1 4PH. All donations will be used to replace the equipment that was stolen.

 

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council plans to house more homeless families in council flats

Café can become gym after plans approved

Four surgeries set to move into new medical centre

Man arrested for perverting justice in Cityclean investigation

Brighton charity burgled for a second time

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

School building to become temporary charity hub

New mural encourages tourists into the North Laine

Hove man given ‘slavery and trafficking risk order’

Hedges to go at King Alfred as demolition prep-work continues

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Brighton Festival at 60

Brighton Festival at 60

19 February 2026
Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

19 February 2026
Full programme announced for the 60th edition of Brighton Festival

Full programme announced for the 60th edition of Brighton Festival

19 February 2026
Please Do Not Touch Preview

Please Do Not Touch Preview

19 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has handed another start to two teenagers as the Seagulls face Liverpool at...

Residents upset by removal of match day guest parking permits

Manchester City fan banned over assault after Brighton and Hove Albion match

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

A Manchester City fan has been banned from going to matches for three years for attacking a cyclist after a...

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

by PA sport staff
11 February 2026
0

Aston Villa 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Jack Hinshelwood scored a late own goal which handed Aston Villa a...

Load More
January 2013
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
« Dec   Feb »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Teenage BMW driver banned – again 19 February 2026
  • Gross misconduct found after police officer deceived vetting 19 February 2026
  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
  • Killer awaits sentence in prison 17 February 2026
  • Elections in May could have knock on effect on vulnerable residents, says council 17 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News