Voting is under way in the Hanover and Elm Grove by-election for a seat on Brighton and Hove City Council.
Six people are standing in the hope of becoming one of the three councillors to represent the ward.
The six candidates are
- Phil Clarke, of Upper Hollingdean Road, Brighton, for Trade Unionists and Socialists Against Cuts
- Emma Daniel, of D’Aubigny Road, Brighton, for Labour
- Lev Eakins, of Brunswick Street West, Hove, for the Liberal Democrats
- David Gibson, of Islingword Road, Brighton, for the Greens
- Robert Knight, of Thompson Road, Brighton, for the Conservatives
- Patricia Mountain, of Sackville Road, Hove, for the UK Independence Party (UKIP)
The by-election was called after Green councillor Matt Follett resigned. The Brighton University lecturer said that he was moving out of the area.
The five polling stations were due to open at 7am and close at 10pm today (Thursday 11 July).
The count will take place at Brighton Town Hall with hopes of a result by midnight.