• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton pilot’s crashed Spitfire being unearthed by archaeologists

by Frank le Duc
Tuesday 6 Oct, 2015 at 2:38AM
A A
0
Brighton pilot’s crashed Spitfire being unearthed by archaeologists

Spitfire pilot Harold Penketh - Picture courtesy of the Aviva Group Archive

A Brighton pilot’s crashed Spitfire is being unearthed by archaeologists during a week-long excavation which started yesterday (Monday 5 October).

Spitfire pilot Harold Penketh - Picture courtesy of the Aviva Group Archive
Spitfire pilot Harold Penketh – Picture courtesy of the Aviva Group Archive

Harold Penketh died at the age of 20 when he crashed at Holme Lode in the Great Fen, in Cambridgeshire, during a training flight.

The young pilot officer was climbing alongside two other Spitfires from 266 Rhodesian Squadron Royal Air Force, based at RAF Wittering, when he broke formation and started to dive. He didn’t recover and he didn’t try to deploy his parachute.

Pilot Officer Penketh died in the crash. His body was recovered and returned to Brighton, his home town, where he used to work for the Ocean Accident and Guarantee Corporation.

His obituary in the staff magazine said: “He was of a charming disposition and his loss was keenly felt by those who knew him.”

His name is recorded on a memorial at Woodvale Crematorium and Cemetery, in Brighton, where he was buried.

An investigation concluded that there had been either a failure of the oxygen system or some other physical failure had occurred.

The site where he crashed was the subject of a geophysical survey in August and the remains of the Mark 1 Spitfire located.

After the excavation the land will be restored to a mix of fenland habitats. It will be managed as part of the Great Fen Nature Reserve by the Wildlife Trust for Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Northamptonshire.

Oxford Archaeology East working at the crash site
Oxford Archaeology East working at the crash site

The Heritage Lottery Fund is paying for the excavation as part of the Great Fen Education and Community Programme. The fund is also supporting the post-dig land restoration.

Kate Carver, form the Great Fen Project, said that the excavation would be a celebration of Pilot Officer Penketh’s life as well as a commemoration of his death.

A Battle of Britain memorial overflight has been scheduled for 3pm on Thursday (8 October).

• Last month the remains of a Hurricane were uncovered during a dig near Saddlescombe Farm, between the Devil’s Dyke and Newtimber Hill, just north of Brighton.

The dig took place 75 years after the aircraft crashed during the Battle of Britain in September 1940.

Sergeant Kazimierz Wünsche, from 303 Polish Fighter Squadron, based at RAF Northolt, was shot down during a dogfight with the German Luftwaffe over Beachy Head.

He bailed out of his burning aircraft and survived although he needed hospital treatment after suffering serious injuries.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Brighton pilot’s crashed Spitfire being unearthed by archaeologists

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Brighton campaigner on trial over Hamas ‘support’ posts

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
October 2015
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031  
« Sep   Nov »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News