• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
12 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Council pledges not to cut autism school support as consultation extended

by Jo Wadsworth
Thursday 29 Oct, 2015 at 11:51AM
A A
0

Brighton and Hove City Council says it has no plans to reduce special educational school places or services for autistic children in response to a huge campaign against proposed cuts to its SEN team.

Pinaki Ghoshal
Pinaki Ghoshal, the city council’s SEN champion

More than 8,000 people have now signed a petition urging the council not to cut children’s rights to a specialist teacher since it was launched last week.

But yesterday, the council said it was extending a consultation on its plan, saying it also wanted to set “misunderstandings” straight.

It said: “Nothing is yet decided – this is a consultation with staff and we’re listening carefully to all feedback.

“We have no plans to reduce our special educational school places nor services supporting autistic children across the city. Any claims to the contrary are speculative and untrue.

“The proposed savings are around 10% of the overall budget for the current SEN support services and are ‘ring-fenced’ to children with high needs and re-invested in other stretched services for them. There are no financial savings to the council’s general budget in these proposals.

“However, we’re aware of the concerns so we have agreed to two changes early in the consultation process: to extend the staff consultation period until January 2016 and to revise some of the SEN specialist adviser posts for make clear the specialist focus on autistic spectrum condition and hearing and visual impairment.

“We acknowledge that aspects of these proposals may be unsettling and can create high levels of anxiety. The changes proposed will result in some staff working in a very different way to support you.

“However, we believe that the result will be a service to children and families which is more flexible, balanced, efficient, sharply focussed on addressing the greatest level of need and available to you across the year.”

The plans, which would amount to a 10% cut in the department’s budget, are to reorganise the special educational needs teams into one integrated service, and extend the service to families and across school holidays, and increasing the age range from 16 to 18.

Advisers would be expected to work across the full range of specialist needs, but the council says it will amend the proposed new job descriptions to make it clear specialist skills and knowledge will be retained, which has proven of particular concern for autism and visual and hearing impairment.

The new team would have 55 staff compared to 58 at present, and the same amount of specialist advisers. The city’s schools will continue to get their delegated SEN budgets.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Body found in back garden

Council pledges not to cut autism school support as consultation extended

Watch solar eclipse safely, urges council

Record numbers live in temporary housing in Brighton and Hove

Thousands of bins missed almost every week, new figures show

Man’s body recovered from sea at Hove

Teenager arrested after sex attack on train

Another gay venue to close

Brighton and the South Downs suffering from drought – official

Park in Hove to have upgraded games area

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Goo Records Showcase event announced

Goo Records Showcase event announced

11 August 2026
Death Cab For Cutie to close UK tour in Sussex

Death Cab For Cutie to close UK tour in Sussex

11 August 2026
Rebellion Festival’s 30th anniversary kicks off early!

Rebellion Festival’s 30th anniversary kicks off early!

11 August 2026
Vienna Vienna announces a handful of UK dates

Vienna Vienna announces a handful of UK dates

9 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Park in Hove to have upgraded games area

Park in Hove to have upgraded games area

by Frank le Duc
10 August 2026
0

Work has started to give a park in Hove an upgraded play area thanks to an unusual recycling project. The...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex come up short as Hampshire shine at Hove

by Frank le Duc
9 August 2026
0

Hampshire 383-9 (50 overs) Sussex 332 (48.5 overs) Hampshire (4 points) beat Sussex (0 points) by 51 runs Hampshire’s Toby...

Brighton conquer Rome in Amex friendly

Brighton conquer Rome in Amex friendly

by Frank le Duc
8 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 3 Roma 0 Rome wasn’t built in a day, they say, and the 2026-27 Albion team...

Load More
October 2015
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031  
« Sep   Nov »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Teenager arrested after sex attack on train 11 August 2026
  • Man stabbed early this morning 11 August 2026
  • Drought declared across all of Sussex – it’s official 10 August 2026
  • PCSO faces court charged with dangerous driving 7 August 2026
  • Driver dies 11 days after crash 6 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News