• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Coronavirus crisis could cost council £30m

by Frank le Duc
Friday 24 Apr, 2020 at 4:04PM
A A
0
Brighton and Hove Citizens Advice Bureau moves out of town hall

Hove Town Hall

The coronavirus crisis is likely to cost Brighton and Hove City Council about £30 million.

Council finance chiefs have been juggling millions of pounds of extra cash coming in from the government with an anticipated loss of income from things like parking charges.

The extra government funding is almost all earmarked for specific groups such as small businesses, people on benefits and rough sleepers, according to a new report.

But there are concerns that many people will struggle to pay their council tax bills.

This income was budgeted to contribute £150 million towards the £935 million cost of running the council in the current financial year.

The report – to the council’s Policy and Resources (P&R) Committee – said that a “prudent and sensible approach” would be needed, not least because the outlook was so uncertain.

The report said: “At present, no other assurances have been provided by the government regarding further funding support.

“Representations to the government have been and are being made … including through the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government.

“In the meantime, the council must ensure that it remains financially sustainable and viable in order to provide critical services in the future, for example, adult and children’s social care.”

The government has given £8 million to help fund the council’s emergency response and another £8 million is expected after an announcement last Saturday (18 April).

So far the council has allocated just over £3 million to cover the cost of supporting people leaving hospital early.

It agreed to spend an extra £386,000 late last month on support for care services – homes and agencies – to try to ensure there would be enough staff and enough beds.

And about £420,000 was spent on ordering personal protective equipment (PPE) including gloves, aprons, masks, hand sanitiser, eye protection and other items.

One of the new face shields for health and care staff being made by Ricardo at its Shoreham HQ

About £2.4 million has been spent securing rooms in hotels, bed and breakfasts (B&Bs) and university bedsits for up to 400 homeless people.

A further £350,000 has been set aside for staff, security and food with £100,000 budgeted for “forensic cleans”, needle sweeps and making good the rooms when they are handed back.

The report to the P&R Committee said: “The current experience is that the council is estimating additional costs, including delayed savings programmes, of approximately £3 million per month.

“In addition, it is suffering a much greater loss of income of approximately £8 million per month.

“Therefore, looking at the short term, the financial impact on the council could be circa £30 million if the crisis continues for three months to mid-June.

“There will be some offset to these costs from reduced purchases of non-essential supplies and services. However, this is not anticipated to be significant.

“More concerning is that the financial impacts on taxation, business rates and fees and charges income could take a considerable amount of time to recover, giving rise to a significantly greater medium-term financial impact.”

The A27 Brighton bypass has been almost empty at times since the coronavirus lockdown started

The report said that at the start of the month the government allocated £83 million to support businesses locally, including shops, hospitality and leisure firms.

A total of 5,537 businesses meet the criteria in Brighton and Hove and are eligible for £73.5 million in grants and the council made the first grant payments on Friday 3 April.

This week 30 per cent of the businesses, 1,675 in total should receive their grants worth £28.5 million.

The report said: “There remains a large number of businesses yet to register for the grant through the portal and officers continue to contact them to encourage providing the information requires to make payment.”

The P&R Committee is due to hold a “virtual” meeting from 4pm on Thursday 30 April.

To see a webcast of the meeting, go to present.brighton-hove.gov.uk/ieListDocuments.aspx?CId=1020&MId=9873.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Coronavirus crisis could cost council £30m

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Constance Marten given permission to appeal against her sentence

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion rout Aston Villa in opening game

Brighton and Hove Albion rout Aston Villa in opening game

by Edward Elliot - PA
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 4 Aston Villa 0 Jack Hinshelwood struck twice in two first-half minutes as a rampant Brighton...

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

by Frank le Duc
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are preparing to host Aston Villa in their opening fixture of the Premier League season this...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Load More
April 2020
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930  
« Mar   May »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Drug line controller jailed for seven years 23 August 2026
  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News