• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton and Hove cabinet backs proposed council tax rise

by Frank le Duc
Friday 10 Feb, 2012 at 10:15AM
A A
0

The Greens in Brighton and Hove took another step towards putting up council tax by 3.5 per cent when the move was approved at a meeting yesterday (Thursday 9 February).

The Brighton and Hove City Council cabinet – the ten Greens who run the council – agreed the measure which will go before the full council on Thursday 23 February.

The Conservative and Labour opposition leaders on the council have indicated that they will vote against the rise.

Instead they want to accept one-off grant of £3 million from the government to fund a freeze in council tax this year.

Last year Labour and the Greens joined forces to vote for a freeze in council tax while the Conservatives, then in charge, proposed a 1 per cent cut.

The government also funded the freeze last year but pledge to make up the shortfall in the council’s finances for four years.

Councillor Jason Kitcat, the council’s cabinet member for finance, said that the one-off grant being offered this year was a gimmick.

He said that, like a payday loan, it would leave council tax payers in Brighton and Hove worse off in future years and mean more cuts to services.

Already in the past few months there have been protests about threats to the children’s music service, the possible closure of some public toilets and the proposed rise in some parking charges.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council plans to house more homeless families in council flats

School building to become temporary charity hub

Toilet tax plan to hit those in greatest need, say critics

Brighton and Hove cabinet backs proposed council tax rise

Ex-PM sends claims about former prince to Sussex Police

New mural encourages tourists into the North Laine

Café can become gym after plans approved

Council plans to close day centre for people with learning disabilities

Parents angry over failings that led to school closure plan

Brighton PC barred from policing for dishonesty

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

20 February 2026
It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

20 February 2026
Brighton Festival at 60

Brighton Festival at 60

19 February 2026
Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

19 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

by George Sessions - PA
21 February 2026
0

Brentford 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 2 Brighton and Hove Albion marked James Milner’s record-breaking 654th Premier League appearance with...

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

by Frank le Duc
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are to start with four changes at Brentford to the side that lost to Liverpool in...

Hürzeler says Brighton and Hove Albion may need to ‘win ugly’

Brighton and Hove Albion boss urges everyone to stay positive

by PA sport staff
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has urged everyone involved with the club to stay positive despite the side’s...

Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Load More
February 2012
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
272829  
« Jan   Mar »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Driver arrested after man dies in crash late last night 21 February 2026
  • Ex-PM sends memo about former prince to Sussex Police 20 February 2026
  • Teenage BMW driver banned – again 19 February 2026
  • Gross misconduct found after police officer deceived vetting 19 February 2026
  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News