• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Intake number cut at Brighton school

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 25 May, 2022 at 12:10AM
A A
0
Brighton school requires improvement, say Ofsted inspectors

The number of children able to attend a Brighton infant school is being formally reduced to protect the school’s budget.

Hertford Infant School, in Hertford Road, can usually accept up to 60 children in two classes – known as two forms of entry – but just 30 youngsters are due to start in September.

Brighton and Hove City Council applied to the schools adjudicator to reduce the published admission number (PAN) to 30 this year.

This would prevent any extra children from joining the school’s reception class after the start of term unless another child left first.

The council said that the request was made in the school’s best interests with the full support of the governors and members of the council’s cross-party school organisation working group.

The reduction is for one year only so that if enough parents apply to send their children to Hertford Infant School next year, the school could once again have two reception classes.

The schools adjudicator Deborah Pritchard said that if the admission number remained at 60, any extra pupils would strain the school’s budget.

She said: “If I were to agree the reduction of the PAN to 30, then there is minimal risk to frustrating parental preference. This is because 30 offers have been made after all applications have been considered.

“If more children need a place in the area of the school, then there are vacant places at other schools which are less than a mile from the school, so no child would have to go far to an alternative school.

“If the PAN were to remain at 60, then the local authority would have to admit any child applying for a place in reception at the school (at least up until 60 had been admitted) until July 2023.

“Admitting just over 30 children is likely to cause the governing board financial costs that could be avoided if the PAN were reduced to 30.

“In addition, if just over 30 children were admitted sometime between now and July 2023, then there could be disruption to class organisation which could affect the education of the children as well as increase costs to the school.”

Last year 36 pupils received offers to start in reception and 44 youngsters were offered places at the school in 2020.

In 2017, parents fought the council’s plan to reduce the school’s intake to one form of entry.

The council’s director of families, children and learning at that time, Pinaki Ghoshal, told parents at a public meeting that council forecasts indicated that Hertford Infant School would not attract 60 pupils a year.

And the school’s nursery closed last year because of falling numbers.

A report to councillors said that forecasts estimated that parents would apply for 1,930 reception places in primary and infant schools in September 2025 – a downward trend.

When the new school year starts in September, 17 schools with more than one form of entry are expected to be undersubscribed, according to council figures.

The council abandoned plans to reduce numbers at seven primary schools for September 2023 after a lengthy campaign by parents.

Four schools – Brunswick, Downs and Goldstone primary schools and Stanford Infant School – all successfully appealed against proposed cuts to their intakes from September 2022.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Brighton

New bus route to start next month

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Smoke control area to cover almost all of Brighton and Hove

Intake number cut at Brighton school

Odeon developer asks permission for 12-month ad shroud

Councillors vote to close oldest school in Brighton

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

Tenant faces arson charge after fire damages council flat

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 6: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 6: 25 reviews)

22 May 2026
The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 5: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 5: 25 reviews)

22 May 2026
SORA pop up to bring a layer of class to Malmaison

SORA arrives at Malmaison Brighton Marina

22 May 2026
Phone-free restaurant gets permanent home

Phone-free restaurant gets permanent home

22 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
May 2022
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031  
« Apr   Jun »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
  • Three months of work to start at railway station 20 May 2026
  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News