• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Patient phoneline to continue, health chiefs promise

by Jo Wadsworth
Thursday 14 Jul, 2022 at 11:55AM
A A
0
Brighton company fined record £350k for making ‘staggering’ 46 million nuisance calls


NHS chiefs have reassured a health watchdog that a vital service to help patients discharged from hospital will continue after targeted funding was withdrawn.

Healthwatch Brighton and Hove set up a phone service for people leaving hospital in April 2020 as a response to the pandemic. Its volunteers helped about 2,700 people over two years.

It had to close the hospital discharge wellbeing project – known as HOPS – at the end of last month, leading to concerns people would no longer be able to access the support it provided.

Its chief officer David Liley wrote to Brighton and Hove City Council’s Health and Wellbeing Board asking how the NHS planned to support people with a “proactive” telephone support services and aid those at risk of self-harm and suicide.

At its meeting on Tuesday (12 July), he said: “We know we have the existing services. They were there before covid, during covid and will be there into the future. There’s the Mental Health Helpline, the rapid response services, the hospital social work team and the hospital mental health liaison services.

“We’ve worked very closely with all of those, and the messages they give us is the system is not well coordinated together, although individually they’re all fantastic services and do a great job.

“The system deals with only a small proportion of those people who are in need.”

Board chair Sue Shanks said the service was commissioned during a national emergency and was a valuable service.

According to the information she received from the NHS, an existing commissioned service that supplies direct home care support has taken on the post-discharged calls.

A single organisation now manages post-discharge checks to prevent delays to people receiving support.

She said: “It was great Healthwatch mobilised people quickly and worked alongside other voluntary community services supporting people being discharged.

“As we are working to restore recovery from the pandemic, all additional services commissioned by the NHS to support hospital discharged have been evaluated to see if they are still required and how they can be sustained and effectively delivered.”

Councillor Shanks confirmed that people needing self-harm and suicide prevention support have services available through the NHS and the council.

She said providing support is a priority for the new Sussex integrated care system, and she hoped coordination would improve to give people the help they need.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Patient phoneline to continue, health chiefs promise

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Load More
July 2022
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Jun   Aug »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News