• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
17 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Planners approve £14.5m scheme to build eight-storey block of flats in Hove

by Frank le Duc
Friday 7 Oct, 2022 at 12:10AM
A A
5
Eight-storey block of flats planned for Hove car park site

Palmer and Harvey House

Palmer and Harvey House

An eight-storey block of flats can be built on an old office car park in Hove after the £14.5 million scheme was granted planning permission by councillors.

They voted narrowly in favour of the planning application submitted by developer Stonegate Homes for 39 flats in the northeast corner of a plot in Davigdor Road.

The site includes P&H House, the former offices of the grocery wholesaler Palmer and Harvey.

An appeal has been lodged because Brighton and Hove City Council was unable to decide another application there – for a six-storey block of 43 flats – within the legal time limit.

Planning officials backed the latest proposal – and a report to the council’s Planning Committee on Wednesday (5 October) said that tall buildings had been approved at other nearby locations.

P&H House itself is in the process of being turned from offices into 78 flats. And a block of 52 flats and offices fronting Davigdor Road is being built on the neighbouring plot on the site of the former Hyde Housing offices.

To the north of the site, on the Peacock Industrial Estate, in Lyon Close, 152 flats are under construction in four blocks.

Labour councillor Clare Moonan said that there was no “masterplan” for the numerous schemes under way in the Lyon Close area.

She said: “My broader concern is there is no overall view. One scheme doesn’t really relate very well to another – and the finished product that we might end up with when it’s all built out isn’t really going to adhere to good design principles.

“The public realm is probably going to be compromised and I’m sure the biodiversity as well.”

Conservative councillor Carol Theobald said that eight storeys was too high for the area and the flats would overshadow homes in nearby Addison Road, Montefiore Road and Old Shoreham Road.

She also had concerns about insufficient affordable housing on the site.

Work is under way on an eight-storey block of flats with ground-floor offices at 113-119 Davigdor Road in Hove next door to P&H House

Green councillor Leo Littman, who chairs the council’s Planning Committee, said that it was a “tricky” application.

When the committee met at Hove Town Hall on Wednesday afternoon, he said: “I haven’t seen anything that suggests we have reason enough to turn this down.

“It is part of a wider scheme because the choice is in the hands of the developers … how they bring these schemes forward to us.”

The application was approved by three votes to two, with one abstention.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 5

  1. Jon says:
    4 years ago

    There seems to be no attempt to build a neighbourhood just numerous tower blocks in a small area. No green space , trees, one exit onto Davigor Road.

    Reply
  2. Charlene says:
    4 years ago

    I bet none is affordable. Probably for rich people with jobs. Not unemployed ok benefits. Not fair and not right

    Reply
    • Clayton says:
      4 years ago

      “The developer will pay XXXX to the council for affordable units to be built elsewhere because after a study was carried out the developer says it wpuld be unviable if they were forced to include the required number of units”

      Look out for those words. They pop up pretty much everytime something is built. Last count BHCC is holding the funding for about 8.5k units but I’m yet to see any built.

      I’ve also always found it strange that theae developer’s only seem to work that bit out late in thw day despite it always being a known quantity based on a standardized formula

      Reply
      • Catherine says:
        4 years ago

        Probably as hove is more desirable and they will get money. Affordable housing always seems to be in the less desirable areas. Feel so sorry for folk pushed out. 🙁

        Reply
  3. Technique says:
    4 years ago

    More so-called ‘luxury apartments’ that no-one can afford.

    Mind you, the council doesn’t care, it just gives them more council tax money to waste on on bike lanes and vanity projects.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Planners approve £14.5m scheme to build eight-storey block of flats in Hove

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Ghibli comes to Brighton

Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn

Three sentenced over Brighton firearms offences

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury Flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ celebrates 30th anniversary as punk rock turns 50 – Day Two Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ celebrates 30th anniversary as punk rock turns 50 – Day Two Report

14 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
October 2022
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  
« Sep   Nov »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
  • Police declare major incident as two people badly hurt when train derails 13 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News