• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Outcry after developer asks to slash affordable housing by a third

by Jo Wadsworth
Monday 31 Oct, 2022 at 3:11PM
A A
12
Outcry after developer asks to slash affordable housing by a third

Work under way at the former Whitehawk Clinic site last year

Former Whitehawk Clinic site

A developer’s bid to reduce the number of affordable homes in a new east Brighton housing scheme has come under fire from one of the area’s councillors.

Martin Homes Whitehawk Way Ltd has asked Brighton and Hove City Council to approve slashing the number of homes in a five-storey building at a former NHS clinic site from 15 to ten, with the company paying £56,664 to the council instead.

When the company secured planning permission in November 2017, the agreement signed the following year was for 40 per cent, 15, of the 38 homes to be provided as “affordable” housing, with eight for rent and seven in shared ownership.

Councillors are asked to grant a variation to the agreement, known as a section 106, to allow for the “commuted sum” and fewer affordable homes at the former Whitehawk Clinic in Whitehawk Road, when the Planning Committee meets on Wednesday 2 November.

East Brighton Labour councillor Gill Williams has opposed the application to change the agreement between the developer and the council.

She said: “It is most disappointing to see that yet again a developer is not intending to honour the pledge to provide 40 per cent affordable housing.

“This is most alarming, particularly in an area that is desperately in need of more affordable housing.

“The viability report which the developer relied upon should not be accepted. It should be rejected.

“Further, it is questionable that the sum of £56,664 could in any way compensate for the loss of dwellings which could benefit local people immeasurably.

“The Whitehawk area and indeed the whole city is in the midst of a housing crisis. We must and should do all we can supply more affordable housing, not less.”

A report going before the committee said a viability assessment carried out for the developer stated eight affordable homes could be provided on-site.

The District Valuer Service reviewed the assessment and confirmed ten units could be provided on-site, plus the contribution of £56,664.

A legal agreement would allow for a review mechanism with updates on the viability, as the council’s policy is that 40 per cent of new homes in a development should be “affordable”.

The report said: “They have also sought a clause enabling the provision of a commuted sum in lieu of affordable housing on-site, in the event that a registered provider cannot be found to take the units.

“Again, this is considered acceptable, with the clause requiring that written evidence be provided to the council confirming that reasonable endeavours have been used to dispose of the affordable housing to a registered provider for a period of at least six months.”

The Planning Committee is due to meet at 2pm on Wednesday (2 November) at Hove Town Hall. The meeting is scheduled to be webcast on the council’s website.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 12

  1. Charles U Farley says:
    4 years ago

    Refuse the request and force the developer to honour their commitment. If they don’t the pull their permission and hand the contact to someone else.
    Everyone knows that developers overbid on every project and then try to move the goalposts afterwards. It is only that councils allow them to get away with it that they continue. Start saying NO!

    Reply
    • Helen says:
      4 years ago

      Charles U Farley
      There’s no CONTRACT to hand to someone else.
      This is a Private developer building homes for themselves not on behalf of the council.

      Reply
      • Christopher Le Gallez says:
        4 years ago

        I would suggest that this is accepted but a clause must be added in that if they have any other ongoing projects these cannot be amended and also no other developments will be approved for this company for 25 years.

        Reply
  2. Glynis says:
    4 years ago

    Martin Homes strikes again – no developer should be allowed to do this they signed a contract and they should stick to it. Maybe a clause should be installed saying any deviation from the original contract should make it null and void and the contract given to another fi to complete as outlined in the original contract. Far too often companies like Martin Homes get away with not fulfilling their contracts

    Reply
  3. Peter says:
    4 years ago

    They signed a contract and should be made to honour it To many builders are being allowed to change contracts simply to suit there own greed As for the paltry sum they are offering in compensation that is a joke which they will simply claim back through taxes

    Reply
  4. Anni.M says:
    4 years ago

    Honour the contract.

    Reply
  5. Ken whitnell says:
    4 years ago

    Yet another developer reneges on social houseing enough is enough make these developers stick to their contracts

    Reply
  6. Helen says:
    4 years ago

    Charles U Farley
    There’s no CONTRACT to hand to someone else.
    This is a Private developer building homes for themselves not on behalf of the council.

    Reply
    • Charles U Farley says:
      4 years ago

      The “contract” is the permission to develop the plot. If they can’t build according the agreement that they entered into then they don’t build at all. They can be forced to sell the site at cost and someone else can take their place.

      Reply
      • Helen says:
        4 years ago

        Charles U Farley
        OMG.
        Completely out of touch.
        No, planning permission to develop a site is needed before anything else.
        The contract is to provide 40% of affordable housing.
        This development has already sprung up!!!
        They could be forced to sell the site, you say, but there again it depends on who actually owns the land and the land owner may decide they no longer want the site developed. Just a thought.

        Reply
  7. Chris says:
    4 years ago

    I have to say that it is not really possible to build “social housing” in an area where house prices are so high. The council would do better to collect the money and go build more social housing itself.

    Reply
    • fed-up with brighton politics says:
      4 years ago

      Except that a paltry £56k wouldn’t buy anything and would no doubt disappear into the muddy council coffers, never to be seen again.

      Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Outcry after developer asks to slash affordable housing by a third

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Firefighters urge people to avoid dangerous aerosol trend

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Load More
October 2022
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  
« Sep   Nov »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News