• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Popular pub garden under threat from developer

by Felice Southwell
Thursday 3 Nov, 2022 at 4:51PM
A A
0
Fears for popular Brighton pub after fresh plans to demolish it emerge


A popular pub garden could be built over by a developer who is submitting more plans to put a house on it.

An application to build a two storey, three-bedroom home would create an end of terrace home next to The Hanover pub in Down Terrace, Brighton.

A previous application by Graderich, which owns the plot and the pub itself, was approved in 2018.

The plans have now been resubmitted because that permission expired in October 2021.

Planning agent Triptych PD says the delays were due to covid lockdowns and the applicant’s priorities.

The planning application states: “This application is an exact replica of the approved case BH2018/02267.

“The reason for the resubmission is that the permission has expired without the discharge of the relevant pre-commencement conditions and was therefore not lawfully implemented within the three-year timeframe (October 2021).”

The plans detail a basement and ground floor home, with access to a garden and terrace.

Graderich were originally given permission to knock the pub down and build nine houses on the site in 2002.

Only three houses were built, on most of what was then the pub’s large beer garden.

A variation on the permission was sought in 2018 to rework the plans to create back gardens for the homes which were not built.

In 2018, the Pearce family which owns Graderich said they were adjusting the permissions in case Indigo Leisure, which runs The Hanover, decided to stop operating it as a pub.

Laura Marshall director at Triptych PD said: “The application has been submitted simply as the last expired without being implemented – the process is such that all pre-commencement conditions must be approved by the planning department before a planning permission can be lawfully implemented.

“No applications were made for the approval/discharge of the pre-commencement conditions – this was primarily due to much of the intervening period being in the various lockdowns and whilst construction could take place in the majority of this time (if the pre-commencement conditions had been discharged), this project was not a priority for the applicant.

“This application relates only to this particular piece of land and is privately owned by the applicant and has not been used as part of The Hanover’s function, which is in separate ownership, for a number of years.”

Brighton and Hove’s construction blueprint, City Plan Part Two, has a provision to save city pubs from being converted or demolished by requiring strong evidence that a pub is no longer viable before it can be converted.

However, it is unclear whether this will affect the Down Terrace site as permission has already been granted for the former pub garden land previously.

Indigo Pubs, which owns The Hanover, has been approached for comment.

You can find the full application on the planning portal by searching for BH2022/03170.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Brighton

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

New bus route to start next month

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Smoke control area to cover almost all of Brighton and Hove

Tenant faces arson charge after fire damages council flat

Popular pub garden under threat from developer

Odeon developer asks permission for 12-month ad shroud

Councillors vote to close oldest school in Brighton

Restaurant could lose licence in row over noisy fan

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Emma Rice brings Malory Towers to Brighton Festival with music, mischief and midnight feasts

Midnight feasts, mischief and mayhem: Emma Rice’s Malory Towers delights at Brighton Festival

21 May 2026
The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 2: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 2: 25 reviews)

21 May 2026
It’s worth taking a look at Takkuuk – Review

It’s worth taking a look at Takkuuk – Review

21 May 2026
The Great Escape Festival and beyond (Part 1: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival and beyond (Part 1: 25 reviews)

21 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
November 2022
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
282930  
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
  • Three months of work to start at railway station 20 May 2026
  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
  • Child rapist jailed for 13 years 19 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News