• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
24 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Smash EDO campaigners cleared on "lawful damage" defence

by Sue Pearson
Thursday 1 Jul, 2010 at 8:09AM
A A
2

Five Smash EDO protestors have been cleared of conspiring to attack the EDO/ITT arms factory because the jury accepted they had been trying to prevent Israeli war crimes.

Simon Levin, from Brighton, and Bristol-based Tom Woodhead, Ornella Saibene, Bob Nicholls and Harvey Tadman were found not guilty by unanimous verdict at Hove Crown Court yesterday.

Another defendant, Rosa Bellamy from Brighton, was discharged on June 15 due to lack of evidence. The verdicts on the remaining two defendants, Chris Osmond from Brighton and Elijah James Smith from Bristol, are expected on Friday (July 2).

All but Bellamy admitted breaking into the factory in Home Farm Road, Moulsecoomb on January 17 last year and causing £180,000 worth of damage.

Six anti-arms trade activists entered weapons factory EDO/ITT in Brighton calling themselves “citizens’ decommissioners”. ITT/EDO MBM, on Home Farm Road, Brighton, manufactures release clips for F15s and F16s as well as the Paveway system of munitions which were used by the Israeli military against civilians in Gaza.

The “decommissioners” barricaded themselves inside, and proceeded to break computers and other equipment, putting an assembly area and machinery used to make bomb release mechanisms out of action.

However, they argued a defence of lawful excuse – that they “decommissioned” the factory to prevent civilians being killed by the Israeli military.

The verdict has been welcomed by Campaign Against Arms Trade (CAAT).

Spokeswoman Kaye Stearman said: “We are pleased to see that the actions of these five decommissioners have been seen in their proper context – a heartfelt and genuine protest against a company making weapons for an illegitimate war against civilians.

“The jury listened to the evidence and to the defence arguments of necessity and came to the conclusion that this was a case of conscience, not conspiracy. We hope that the remaining decommissioners will also be acquitted.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. Jem says:
    16 years ago

    Fantastic News! Hopefully another small step towards a world where there is peace.
    Congratulations once again to the bravery of the ‘decommissioners’

    Reply
  2. Tommo says:
    16 years ago

    Great. A bunch of fascists with an anti-Israeli campaign based largely on Palestinian propaganda is cleared of criminal damage of a Brighton factory they suspected of supplying arms to Israel. So now the Smash EDO contingent, elated at their latest victory, and aided and abetted by the our new Green MP Caroline Lucas will be off to look for another victim in their fight against the existence of a legal state which, if Hamas has its way, will be bombed off the face of the earth.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Former Brighton teacher awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13

Pub tile developer asks court to make council pay his costs

Palm house turned into butterfly garden

Phone-free restaurant finds permanent home

Smash EDO campaigners cleared on "lawful damage" defence

New bus route to start next month

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

Opposition overlooked and left in the dark, says councillor

Hospital marks £860m project’s helipad and cancer milestones

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Oh To Believe in Another World: Shostakovich Symphony No.10

Oh To Believe In Another World

23 May 2026
Robocop vs The Terminator vs Gabriel Featherstone

Robocop vs The Terminator vs Gabriel Featherstone vs direction

23 May 2026
We Are Warriors, Cab Road Tunnel, Brighton Festival

We Are Warriors, Cab Road Tunnel, Brighton Festival

23 May 2026
Whisky Tango Foxtrot, Lantern Theatre, Brighton Fringe, May 22&23rd 2026

Review: Whisky Tango Foxtrot!

23 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Welbeck double sinks Liverpool at Brighton and Hove Albion

Welbeck deserves a World Cup place, says Brighton and Hove Albion boss

by PA sport staff
23 May 2026
0

Danny Welbeck deserves a place in the England World Cup squad, according to Brighton and Hove Albion head coach Fabian...

Sussex Sharks open T20 Blast with a win

Sussex off to a winning start in the Blast

by Martin Smith - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 May 2026
0

Essex 191-5 (20 overs) Sussex Sharks 192-4 (16 overs) Sussex Sharks win by 6 wickets John Simpson hurried Sussex Sharks...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Load More
July 2010
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031  
« Jun   Aug »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Former assistant head awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13 23 May 2026
  • Biggest hospital in Sussex marks two key milestones 22 May 2026
  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News