• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Hove church youth leader charged with abusing four boys

Teenagers plied with alcohol before being touched and fondled, court told

by Frank le Duc
Tuesday 15 Aug, 2023 at 4:32PM
A A
3
Hove church youth leader charged with abusing four boys

The old Clarendon Church in Hove

A Hove church leader abused four boys at his home in Hangleton, a court was told today (Tuesday 15 August).

On separate occasions, Daniel Reed, 57, plied the teenagers with drink at his home in Stonecroft Close, before indecently assaulting them.

Jason Sugarman, prosecuting, told a jury that Reed showed them pornographic films and persuaded them to put on silk shorts or boxers before taking advantage of them.

Some he touched and fondled. Reed, known as Danny, persuaded one boy to lie face down on a mattress while he was grinding against him.

Mr Sugarman said: “This case is one of historic sexual child abuse on boys.

“The defendant, who is now 57 years of age, at that time in the late 1980s early 1990s, was a church youth leader in his early twenties at Clarendon Church, in Hove.

“The events in this case took place over 30 years ago. He is alleged to have met and then, at his home address, sexually abused young men aged between 14 and 16.

“His method was the ask the boy in question to come over for a sleep-over, watch porn, ply him with alcohol and get him to undress and put on silky boxer shorts – all part of the grooming – after which he would then sexually assault him.

“Mr Reed is before you today for seven charges. Four are Indecent assault on a boy under the age of 16 years and three for indecent assaults on a man aged 16 or over.

“Some of the offences involved the wearing of silk-style shorts which the defendant would produce.

“The first complainant came forward in August 2018 when his father called the police to report that his son was sexually abused.”

Mr Sugarman said that Reed abused the boy when he was 14 at the defendant’s home address in about 1987 or 1988.

The victim didn’t tell anyone what had happened until about 2000 or 2002 when he told his wife. He did not report the abuse to the police until 2018.

When a Sussex Police detective interviewed Reed, he made a prepared statement, saying: “I recall that he came to my house on one or two occasions only.”

Reed denied any sexual touching and added: “I now wish to remain silent.”

Another victim said that he had been interfered with sexually by a leader and that he was strongly affected by the experience and too ashamed to tell anyone – even his family.

In 1990, one of the boys told his parents what had happened, Mr Sugarman said, but his father didn’t believe him and made him apologise to Reed in a phone call.

The teenager then contacted the church elders but they told him not to tell the police.

He told his girlfriend at the time and she reported it to Sussex Police but it has not been possible to find a record of the complaint.

The old Clarendon Church in Hove

A parent separately contacted a church elder with his concerns, saying that the details were “repugnant, sickening in the extreme and upsetting”.

Mr Sugarman said “Although the church leaders became aware of some of these allegations nearer the time the offences occurred, they never reported any of them to the police.”

He said that, to the extent that it was dealt with by the church at all, it was all, apparently, dealt with internally – that is, hushed up.

Reed was sacked as a church youth leader and later turned up at the house of one of the elder John Hosier.

Mr Sugarman told the jury: “Some time after Danny had been asked to leave, he turned up on his doorstep saying he had known he had done wrong.

“As a Christian he wanted to repent, ask for forgiveness and have a fresh start. He did not elaborate about what he had done wrong.”

Mr Sugarman added: “A friend of his went to visit him but found Danny in a state of non-comprehensible gibberish.

“It was clear Danny was in no state to be by himself. After some time, Danny was made an inpatient in a psychiatric hospital.

“It was here that on visiting one day, the defendant told him what it was all about.

“He told him that there was a boy … who was very upset and was going to report him to the police for what he had done to that boy.

“It was obvious what he meant by this but he did not elaborate on detail.”

Another colleague from the church said that he was found wandering the streets and not making sense before being admitted to a psychiatric hospital.

Reed had a girlfriend at about the time of some of the offences, the court was told, but later ended up with a man as his long-term partner.

Reed denies the charges. The trial continues.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 3

  1. Al wills says:
    3 years ago

    Usual day for religion then

    Reply
  2. Samuel Woollard says:
    3 years ago

    Does anyone have an update on how this case is going?

    Reply
    • Carolyn Foster says:
      3 years ago

      Yes, did you see the new report published a couple of days ago? Very sad outcome for the victims.

      Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Brighton

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

New bus route to start next month

Smoke control area to cover almost all of Brighton and Hove

Tenant faces arson charge after fire damages council flat

Hove church youth leader charged with abusing four boys

Odeon developer asks permission for 12-month ad shroud

Restaurant could lose licence in row over noisy fan

Councillors vote to close oldest school in Brighton

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Emma Rice brings Malory Towers to Brighton Festival with music, mischief and midnight feasts

Midnight feasts, mischief and mayhem: Emma Rice’s Malory Towers delights at Brighton Festival

21 May 2026
The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 2: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 2: 25 reviews)

21 May 2026
It’s worth taking a look at Takkuuk – Review

It’s worth taking a look at Takkuuk – Review

21 May 2026
The Great Escape Festival and beyond (Part 1: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival and beyond (Part 1: 25 reviews)

21 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
August 2023
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
« Jul   Sep »

RSS From Sussex News

  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
  • Three months of work to start at railway station 20 May 2026
  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
  • Child rapist jailed for 13 years 19 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News