• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
17 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton firm must wait to learn whether controversial flats can go ahead

by Frank le Duc
Thursday 18 Apr, 2024 at 8:08PM
A A
2
D-day for Brighton firm’s controversial plans for 18-storey flats

KSD plans to build an 18-storey block of flats on the former Port Office site in Beach Road in Newhaven - Visualisation by Morgan Carn architects

A decision on controversial plans by a Brighton company to build a huge apartment complex in Newhaven have been delayed.

Lewes District Council’s planning committee had been due to consider proposals to build 126 flats and duplexes – many within an 18-storey tower – on land in Beach Road, near to the entrance of Newhaven Port.

But yesterday (Wednesday 17 April), on the day of the meeting, planning officials changed their recommendation from approve to defer without discussion.

The change came in response to a request from the developer KSD Support Services. The company was concerned that the absence of final comments from East Sussex County Council highways team could “prejudice the consideration of the item”.

In light of this advice, the committee opted to defer their decision, meaning that the scheme is likely to be considered at a later date.

The proposed scheme had proven to be controversial with local residents, with the council having received 195 letters of objection before publication of the report to the committee.

Objections included a petition from Newhaven’s Liberal Democrats, signed by 187 people, saying: “While we welcome the development of brownfield sites, they must be in keeping with the rest of Newhaven and meet the town’s needs.

“The 18-storey tower will be higher than Nelson’s column and will completely change not just the local street scene but the whole of Newhaven.”

The petition added: “The previous plans would have delivered a fantastic opportunity but these plans offer nothing. There is no affordable housing offered in this development, there is not sufficient parking and there will be a major issue with over-development and shadowing.

“It would be fantastic if KSD would work with East Side residents and find a development that works for the community.

“We accept this is a brownfield site and we accept it should be used for housing but we don’t accept a tower that offers no affordable housing and will change the look of Newhaven’s skyline.”

Objections have also been raised by Newhaven Port and Properties Ltd. The company, which is the harbour authority responsible for maintaining the port, said that it owned a small part of the site and wanted to preserve its rights over the land.

While this land dispute would not prevent the grant of planning permission, it could mean that the scheme as applied for would not be feasible.

Planning permission was previously granted for a mixed-use scheme, including an 80-bedroom hotel, but this earlier scheme was not built.

The current application also includes commercial space.

For further information see application reference LW/23/0304 on the Lewes District Council website.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. Alex Matthews says:
    2 years ago

    Not many, will be able to afford to buy or rent, and peppercorn rent for services will be extortionate, with a continual increase every year.

    Reply
    • Eleanor says:
      2 years ago

      They should be free for locals and single mums on benefits. Crazy that people with loads of cash get them. So unfair

      Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Man found dead in house this morning

Mugger wanted after robbery in Brighton street

Brighton firm must wait to learn whether controversial flats can go ahead

Post arrives too soon for Brighton Festival team

Car showroom to become supermarket

Elections back on across Sussex after government U-turn

Moped rider held on suspicion of drug dealing

Hedges to go at King Alfred as demolition prep-work continues

Suspected stalker charged with threatening to burn down woman’s home

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Mystery Musicals Bottomless Brunch – Komedia Brighton

Mystery Musicals Bottomless Brunch – Komedia Brighton

17 February 2026
The Ballad of Johnny & June – The Johnny Cash Musical

The Ballad of Johnny & June – The Johnny Cash Musical

17 February 2026
Mischa Barton makes her UK stage debut in Double Indemnity

Mischa Barton makes her UK stage debut in Double Indemnity

17 February 2026
Get ‘Down In The Park’ with Gary Numan

Get ‘Down In The Park’ with Gary Numan

17 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
4

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has handed another start to two teenagers as the Seagulls face Liverpool at...

Residents upset by removal of match day guest parking permits

Manchester City fan banned over assault after Brighton and Hove Albion match

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

A Manchester City fan has been banned from going to matches for three years for attacking a cyclist after a...

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

by PA sport staff
11 February 2026
0

Aston Villa 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Jack Hinshelwood scored a late own goal which handed Aston Villa a...

Load More
April 2024
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930  
« Mar   May »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Killer awaits sentence in prison 17 February 2026
  • Elections in May could have knock on effect on vulnerable residents, says council 17 February 2026
  • Man dies in crash this afternoon 16 February 2026
  • Elections back on across Sussex after government U-turn 16 February 2026
  • Man, 63, charged after pub stabbing 16 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News