• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
17 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Studio flat could become three-bedroom shared home for five

Councillors due to decide whether conversion can go ahead

by Sarah Booker-Lewis - local democracy reporter
Thursday 2 May, 2024 at 12:01AM
A A
0
Studio flat could become three-bedroom shared home for five

St Gabriel's in Wellington Road in Brighton

A planning application to convert a studio flat into a shared home goes back before councillors next week.

Brighton and Hove City Council’s Planning Committee had been due to make a decision on the application by M&S Property Development last month.

But councillors were not satisfied that they had enough information to enable them to decide the application.

Officials have advised the committee to grant planning permission for a change of use and to allow a series of alterations to the building – the locally listed St Gabriel’s at 18A Wellington Road, Brighton.

The alterations include the installation of dormer windows at the front and side of the building and two roof lights at the back.

The roof work is intended to create more space inside, enabling a studio flat to be turned into a three-bedroom small “house in multiple occupation” (HMO) for five people.

Six objections outline concerns about the height, noise and the effect on St Gilbert’s as a locally listed building.

One objector, whose details were redacted by the council, said: “The noise from mostly young tenants smoking, drinking and partying at all hours just ricochets off the other buildings and this has become intolerable.

“While frosted glass was insisted upon by planning directives, the residents just have the windows open all hours.”

Six comments in support the application have been sent to the council, with one praising a “good design”.

One supporter, whose details were also redacted, said: “There is no valid reason to deny planning permission in my opinion.

“The developer has made a wonderful job of renovating that rundown building and there is no noise or disturbance at all from that property. I live next door so I know this.”

As the council – unlike some other councils – has kept secret the names and addresses of those who comment, it is hard to know whether this is the case.

When the Planning Committee met last month, Labour councillor Liz Loughran, who chairs the committee, said that she was not satisfied that members could make a decision based on the evidence before them.

The committee backed a proposal by Brighton and Hove Independent councillor Mark Earthey to defer a decision to give the applicant time to provide more details and internal photographs.

The applicant is M&S Property Development which is run by three directors – Eskandar Sharanizadeh, 68, Maryam Taghavi Khonsari, 63, and Shayan Sharanizadeh, 27.

Their application had the backing of planning officials, not least because there were fewer HMOs in the immediate surrounding area than elsewhere in Brighton.

And the proposals were not expected to cause excessive harm to the wider building.

The Planning Committee is due to meet at 2pm at Hove Town Hall next Wednesday (8 May). The meeting is scheduled to be webcast on the council’s website.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Studio flat could become three-bedroom shared home for five

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Ghibli comes to Brighton

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn

Three sentenced over Brighton firearms offences

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
May 2024
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
« Apr   Jun »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
  • Police declare major incident as two people badly hurt when train derails 13 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News