• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Judge sentences young teenager caught with knife

by Frank le Duc
Thursday 12 Mar, 2026 at 11:35AM
A A
0
Paedophile doctor found guilty of abusing boy, 8, from Hove

Hove Crown Court

A judge has sentenced a teenager who was caught with a knife in Western Road, Brighton, when he was 13 years old.

The boy, who is now 17, cannot be identified by law, He was arrested close to the scene of a robbery to which the police had been called, the court was told.

He was one of several young people arrested as part of the police investigation of the robbery which happened nearly four years ago, on Saturday 2 July 2022.

One of the suspects, 17-year-old Mustafa Momand, has since been stabbed to death – in nearby Queen’s Road – over a drug debt. His killer, another teenager, Armin Mehdikhani-Sarvejahani, was jailed for life.

Yesterday (Wednesday 11 March), at Hove Crown Court, Judge Christine Henson said that the 13-year-old boy who was caught with a knife had been the subject of positive reports since then.

He had been in trouble just once and was making good progress under his youth justice worker Kay Squires, of the West Sussex County Council Youth Offending Team.

In a report to the court, she praised the progress made by the teen, who lives in Worthing.

And the boy’s barrister, Francesca Levett, urged the court to make a referral order for the knife offence, with a view to supporting him in staying out of trouble.

Miss Levett said that the boy had been to a barbecue on the seafront with friends and those present had tidied everything away when it ended.

The boy said that he picked up a knife that had been left behind. It was a small paring knife that he intended to take home.

In hindsight, Miss Levett said, the boy said that he should have put it in a bin but he accepted that he had the knife in public and pleaded guilty.

The court was told that the boy was taking a course in business studies and learning to drive with a view to becoming an estate agent.

Judge Henson warned the boy about the dangers of having a knife on him, given how many end up being used on the person carrying it in the first place.

She imposed an eight-month referral order and encouraged him to apply himself to his studies and continue his positive progress.

William Gatward, prosecuting, applied to the court for a forfeiture and destruction order in relation to the knife. The judge granted the application.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Brighton

New bus route to start next month

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Smoke control area to cover almost all of Brighton and Hove

Tenant faces arson charge after fire damages council flat

Odeon developer asks permission for 12-month ad shroud

Judge sentences young teenager caught with knife

Councillors vote to close oldest school in Brighton

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 3: 20 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 3: 20 reviews)

22 May 2026
Penelope Isles announce concert dates including 2 Brighton gigs

Penelope Isles announce concert dates including 2 Brighton gigs

22 May 2026
Sound Of Wunderlich, Brighton Fringe, 21st May 2026

The Mayhem of The Sound Of Wunderlich

22 May 2026
Emma Rice brings Malory Towers to Brighton Festival with music, mischief and midnight feasts

Midnight feasts, mischief and mayhem: Emma Rice’s Malory Towers delights at Brighton Festival

21 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
March 2026
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031  
« Feb   Apr »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
  • Three months of work to start at railway station 20 May 2026
  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News