• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Hove gym given permission to open early

by Sarah Booker-Lewis - local democracy reporter
Friday 3 Apr, 2026 at 8:08AM
A A
4
Hove gym given permission to open early

A Hove gym can open earlier after convincing councillors that it would not be a noise nuisance to neighbours.

Brighton and Hove City Council’s Planning Committee had been advised to refuse a planning application from Hove Fitness Club to allow its indoor facilities to open from 6am to 10pm daily.

But members unanimously approved the application after hearing from company director Lucille Egan, 56.

Existing planning conditions restricted the site, at 2 St Heliers Avenue, Hove, from operating before 7am and after 7.15pm.

Last year a similar application was refused. It would have permitted the same hours in its indoor facilities plus an 8am start on the outdoor tennis courts and hours of 8am to 8pm daily for the terrace.

There were eight objections, 39 letters of support and a 13-page petition with details redacted on the council website. Ms Egan said that it was signed by 510 supporters.

Ms Egan said that the proposals were modest and reasonable for the business that Hove Fitness took over in 2024.

She said that many other gyms in the area opened at 6am or earlier and there were 24-hour gyms in residential areas across Brighton and Hove.

She said: “The simple fact is that many residents train and work there and the current restrictions, if enforced, will prevent us opening and severely impact our business.”

She was worried about whether the firm could survive there because it risked losing members.

Noise monitoring found that activity inside the building at 6am would generate sound at approximately 50 decibels, equivalent to light rain or the hum from a fridge.

The Labour council leader Bella Sankey, who represents Wish ward, made a late representation supporting the early opening hours.

Councillor Sankey said in a statement: “This would seem a reasonable application to me given that people tend to want to use gyms first thing in the morning and the removal of the (previous) terrace issue.

“Can the amenity impact and the criteria that will be used in assessing the application to vary the condition for 6am to 10pm opening times be more specific?”

Councillors established that the most recent noise complaint was made about music played on a tennis court for 45 minutes last summer.

Ms Egan said that the business had taken action and stopped the noise as soon as it received a complaint.

Green councillor Kerry Pickett said that she lived near a gym that opened at 6am without bothering people.

Councillor Pickett said: “I don’t entirely understand what the issue is here. My feeling is that the gym owners are doing everything they can to mitigate noise and not upset the neighbours.”

Labour councillor Sam Parrott said that she went to her gym at 5.30am and was not aware of any complaints from neighbours.

Councillor Parrott said: “I’m struggling to get my head around why we are having a (recommendation of) refusal on this, given that the last complaint was nine months ago. And that was around a very specific event.

“If you took those complaints out around a very specific events, we’re talking about complaints that are a significant amount of time away.”

Brighton and Hove Independent councillor Mark Earthey and Labour suggested asking for a new noise assessment.

Labour councillor Paul Nann, a member of the Planning Committee who also represents Wish ward, left the meeting at Hove Town Hall on Wednesday (1 April) before the item was discussed.

And fellow Labour councillor Alison Thomson, who chairs the Planning Committee, said that he was a member of Hove Fitness so did not take part in the debate either.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 4

  1. Charles R Hanson says:
    5 months ago

    Great gym run by some fantastic people. Such a shame they’re hit with more barriers and hurdles after they’ve done such a fantastic job of bouncing back and twice as strong from having their previous site snatched away from then. Maybe hove fitness could open the doors to the locals and they can see what a fantastic job they’re doing and what a communal hub they’ve opened up. Wish all the staff all the best for the future and hope that some people can change Their views. Open up at 5 and I’ll be back in a heart beat

    Reply
  2. Nick Huxley says:
    4 months ago

    This does mean the runners who go to a class at the gym and run past our house having a good old chat, on the pavement and road, at 7am, can now do this at 6am?

    Reply
    • Dan Dan says:
      4 months ago

      This is a disgrace!

      It’s completely outrageous that people think they can just chat in the street.

      Back in my day nobody said a word if they went outside, the seagulls didn’t screech, dogs didn’t bark, and the only sound was grass growing on the kerb side.

      Reply
  3. Nick Huxley says:
    4 months ago

    Ha! Very good, very good.

    I know, I thought of getting a petition to get the pavement padded with memory foam, silencers on the seagulls and a ban on any trainers that make a ‘scuff scuff’ sound 🙂

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Hove gym given permission to open early

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Brighton campaigner on trial over Hamas ‘support’ posts

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
April 2026
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930  
« Mar   May »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News