• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton parliamentary candidate calls for update on threatened doctors’ surgery

by Frank le Duc
Sunday 11 Jan, 2015 at 12:10PM
A A
0

Labour’s parliamentary candidate in Brighton Kemptown has asked for an update on the future of a doctors’ surgery which is threatened with closure.

Nancy Platts contacted Brighton and Hove City Council chief executive Penny Thompson about the Eaton Place surgery in Kemp Town.

Ms Thompson offered to intervene personally when Ms Platts raised the matter at a Health and Wellbeing Board meeting last month.

An update will be given to the board when it meets on Tuesday 3 February.

Ms Platts led a delegation of patients from the surgery to the last Health and Wellbeing Board meeting, calling for the board to “replace Eaton Place”.

Nancy Platts
Nancy Platts

She also presented a petition because the surgery is due to close when the two current doctors – Malcolm Stalker and Robert Mockett – retire at the end of next month.

Letters have been sent to more than 5,000 of their patients encouraging them to register with other practices.

Another nearby GP surgery – in St James’s Avenue – closed in June 2010.

According to Ms Platts, Ms Thompson said that discussions were taking place between NHS England, the Brighton and Hove Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG), Dr Stalker and Dr Mockett and other local doctors.

Ms Platts said: “While the discussions have not been finalised, she said that a number of options are on the table which could include a future branch surgery of a different practice at the current practice premises or near by.

“An update on progress will go to the next Health and Wellbeing Board on (Tuesday) 3 February at Hove Town Hall.”

One of the local practices in the running to operate the Eaton Place surgery as a branch practice is the Brighton Health and Wellbeing Centre, in Western Road, Hove.

Ms Platts added: “It is welcome news that there is now a glimmer of hope Eaton Place surgery will be replaced.

“But I remain concerned that the timescale for the decision is very tight.

“Right now, we still have thousands of people looking for a new GP but we could be in a situation where thousands of patients reregister with another doctor miles away only to find that they could have stayed where they are.

“I would ask NHS England and the Health and Wellbeing Board to treat this matter with a greater sense of urgency so that local people do not suffer any further anxiety or inconvenience.

“If Eaton Place GP surgery is not replaced, it could impact on Accident and Emergency at the Royal Sussex and this must form part of the considerations.

“We have heard loud and clear from a local A&E consultant that this government’s cuts are damaging our NHS and staff are already being placed under too much pressure as a result.

“We cannot take the risk that thousands of displaced patients will end up going to A&E from February because they have not been able to find a nearby GP.”

Eaton Place surgery is currently scheduled to close on Saturday 28 February.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Brighton parliamentary candidate calls for update on threatened doctors’ surgery

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Load More
January 2015
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031  
« Dec   Feb »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News