• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Victorian Society commissions rival Madeira Terraces survey

by Jo Wadsworth
Thursday 12 May, 2016 at 9:40AM
A A
2
Brighton seafront study wins national praise

Madeira terraces fenced off. Picture by Ken Frost

The Victorian Society has persuaded Brighton and Hove City Council to allow independent consultants to carry out a survey on the Madeira Terraces, which it hopes will show they can be repaired rather than replaced.

Madeira terraces fenced off. Picture by Ken Frost
Madeira Terraces fenced off in June 2015. Picture by Ken Frost

The terraces were named in the society’s top ten most endangered buildings in September, having been closed by the council after a survey it commissioned said they were in danger of collapsing.

But the society disputes the survey, and has now persuaded the council to give it permission to obtain its own analysis of the structure.

Meanwhile, an announcement of the council’s own plans has been delayed again, and is now due to be made in the summer.

Alex Bowring, the society’s conservation advisor, said: “Brighton council stated that the survey that they carried out suggested that none of the terraces were retainable and were all structurally unsound and in danger of collapsing.

“After a Freedom of Information request from ourselves the council did eventually publish this report after having previously refused to allow us to see it.

“After reviewing it various people pointed out that it was carried out by surveyors who are specialists in highways and who probably don’t have the expertise to assess historic structures.

“If you apply the same rules to most historic buildings, most engineers don’t understand why they’re still standing.

“We got accredited conservation surveyors, who should have been used in the first place, and we asked one firm who we know quite well to have a look at the report and he said the same thing.

“We wrote to the council and suggested that a report needed to be done by an accredited engineer and that this person would do it and I think he has been in discussion with the council with a view to carrying it out.

“The report was a bolt out of the blue. It’s obviously in need of some serious repairs but we don’t believe it’s about to collapse.

“There must be serious implications in order to demolish a listed building.”

A council spokesman said: “The council has carried out a full structural investigation and the findings, plus the council’s further monitoring of the structure, have been shared with the Victorian Society.

“Another view would be interesting in helping us work with heritage partners to find a sustainable solution for the Madeira Terraces.

“We are currently exploring how to fund a project that would also need to pay for maintaining the Madeira Terraces in good condition into the next century. As a listed structure any changes would need the consent of English Heritage.

“We are planning to report back in the summer on what funding opportunities may be available for Madeira Terraces and how the council is supporting the wider regeneration of the seafront.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. BrightonBen says:
    10 years ago

    Really pleased that the Society is commissioning a report by an appropriate specialist consultancy as it would be a travesty if these iconic arches were unnecessarily demolished as the correct specialist advice was not sought. Thank you Vic Soc for your work!

    Reply
  2. Trevor Scoble says:
    10 years ago

    From my personal experience of refurbishing a building in Trafalgar Square 50 years ago, which was constructed with cast iron columns and beams I can confirm that they do not rust, that building is still standing as like the west pier. From my 36 years of walking the Terraces both on top of and below I would confirm that I have not seen any structural signs of any collapse whatsoever and from looking down on to the section that has been open up the concrete structure is not showing any signs that it is pulling away from the cast iron. It should be a simple survey to confirm that the Terraces Structure with some miner works is safe. Lets get it back into public use asp.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Victorian Society commissions rival Madeira Terraces survey

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Constance Marten given permission to appeal against her sentence

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

by Frank le Duc
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are preparing to host Aston Villa in their opening fixture of the Premier League season this...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Load More
May 2016
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031  
« Apr   Jun »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Drug line controller jailed for seven years 23 August 2026
  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News