• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton double murder trial – Russell Bishop was cleared before but struck again, jury told

by Frank le Duc
Tuesday 16 Oct, 2018 at 12:09PM
A A
1
Man arrested over ‘Babes in the Wood’ murder of two Brighton girls

Nicola Fellows and Karen Hadaway

A Brighton man killed two nine-year-old schoolgirls, was tried and found not guilty then went on to kidnap and sexually assault another young girl, a jury was told today (Tuesday 16 October).

Russell Bishop, 52, a former roofer, who lived in Stephens Road, Hollingdean, denies killing Nicola Fellows and Karen Hadaway in October 1986 in Wild Park, in Moulsecoomb.

He was jailed for the later attempted murder, of a seven-year-old girl, which took place in 1990, the jury heard.

A new trial for the Moulsecoomb murders is taking place at the Central Criminal Court – better known as the Old Bailey – in London.

Brian Altman, prosecuting, said: “Thirty-two years ago, almost to the day, on Friday 10 October 1986, two nine-year-old girls, Nicola Fellows and Karen Hadaway, were found dead in the woods at Wild Park in Brighton.

“Both had gone missing the evening before, Thursday 9 October 1986, and despite searches by police and public they were not to be found until the following afternoon.

“That grim discovery led to the largest and longest-running police inquiry Sussex Police has ever known.

“Post-mortem examinations conducted that Friday evening revealed both girls had been strangled to death and they had been sexually assaulted.

“The killings were entirely intentional and they were carried out in the woods by a man who sexually assaulted them for his own gratification.

“That man, say the prosecution, was this defendant, Russell Bishop.

“On the day of their murders, on Thursday 9 October 1986, the girls, who were friends despite attending different schools in the Brighton area, had gone out to play after school.

“They both lived in the same street in an area known as Moulsecoomb on the northern outskirts of Brighton.

“The residential area of Moulsecoomb nestles on the east side of the A27 and the A270 Lewes Road that runs between Brighton and Lewes.

“On the west side of the road is Wild Park, which is part of the South Downs and beyond its playing fields there is a grassy bank that steeply rises up into dense woods to Highfields, a residential street and the Coldean area beyond.

“It was here, a mere half a mile or so from their homes, that the girls were found dead.

Murder victims Nicola Fellows and Karen Hadaway

“This defendant was, as you will hear, arrested in 1986, charged and indeed tried the following year, in 1987, for the murders of both girls, but on 10 December 1987 he was acquitted by a jury at Lewes Crown Court.

“Despite the acquittal, the case was never closed and the police have continued to investigate it.

“One significant part of the enquiry has been to re-evaluate various areas of scientific work that were performed for the purposes of the 1987 trial but through the lens of modern-day techniques.

“DNA profiling, which, although available in 1986 and 1987, was then in its infancy.

“Because of the new evidence, and without it making any judgment about the guilt or otherwise of this man, the Court of Appeal has quashed the 1987 acquittals.

“That means that the defendant can be prosecuted again based on the evidence that existed then and the new evidence that is available now.

“Evidence of the re-evaluation of the science available at the time of the original trial and new science, we suggest, proves that Russell Bishop, was, to the exclusion of anyone else responsible for the murders of the two girls.

“However, the case against him does not only rely on scientific evidence. It relies on it within the context of the story of the case as a whole, including the defendant’s movements, his actions and what he had to say to the police, including, as you will see, significant lies he told at the time.

Russell Bishop

“While the prosecution has no obligation in murder to prove the motive for any killing, the killing of these two girls clearly has the most obvious motive.

“Plainly the main, if not the only, motive here was sexual and paedophilic. As I have said, both these little girls were sexually assaulted, which I am going to have to tell you more about later.

“Finally, let me add this. In the course of the case – indeed in the course of this opening address – I am going to be showing you a few images of the den and the girls as they were found. Inevitably, they are upsetting.

“However, I can assure you that this is not being done to prejudice you against the defendant, but because, as you will come to see, the detail in those images cannot be reproduced in any other way and because they show that the defendant knew important detail about the situation and condition of the girls at the scene that only the killer could have known.

“So, against that introduction, let me now come to the detail. Inevitably, I have a good deal of ground to cover and so this address will take some considerable time, but the detail will help you become familiar with the story of the case and where witnesses fit into it and with other evidence in the case.”

The trial continues.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Pingback: Brighton double murder trial – Russell Bishop was cleared before but struck again, jury told - World Justice News

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Hedges to go at King Alfred as demolition prep-work continues

Four surgeries set to move into new medical centre

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Restored cast iron returns to Madeira Terrace for reassembly

Brighton double murder trial – Russell Bishop was cleared before but struck again, jury told

Man found dead in house this morning

Brutal rapist targeted woman he met on night out in Brighton

Greengrocer leaves market over plans to reduce opening hours

Mugger wanted after robbery in Brighton street

Campaigners call public meeting tonight in push for housing on Brighton General Hospital site

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Cabaret Voltaire announce live album ahead of final Sussex concert

Cabaret Voltaire announce live album ahead of final Sussex concert

18 February 2026
Vent 414 supergroup announce a return

Vent 414 supergroup announce a return

18 February 2026
Industrial tribal experimental duo Dame Area heading to Brighton

Industrial tribal experimental duo Dame Area heading to Brighton

18 February 2026
Tickets for 60th Brighton Festival go on sale tomorrow

Tickets for 60th Brighton Festival go on sale tomorrow

18 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has handed another start to two teenagers as the Seagulls face Liverpool at...

Residents upset by removal of match day guest parking permits

Manchester City fan banned over assault after Brighton and Hove Albion match

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

A Manchester City fan has been banned from going to matches for three years for attacking a cyclist after a...

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

by PA sport staff
11 February 2026
0

Aston Villa 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Jack Hinshelwood scored a late own goal which handed Aston Villa a...

Load More
October 2018
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
« Sep   Nov »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
  • Killer awaits sentence in prison 17 February 2026
  • Elections in May could have knock on effect on vulnerable residents, says council 17 February 2026
  • Man dies in crash this afternoon 16 February 2026
  • Elections back on across Sussex after government U-turn 16 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News