• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
24 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Police to take no action against Labour member who called for march on synagogue

by Jo Wadsworth
Tuesday 30 Apr, 2019 at 11:31PM
A A
1
Brighton Labour member suspended over ‘march on synagogue’ post


Sussex Police says it will take no action against a Brighton Labour party member who called for a march on Hove synagogue in response to a candidate’s suspension over alleged anti-Semitism.

Amanda Bishop’s comments have been condemned by both the city’s MPs as well as other party members, all of whom are busy campaigning ahead of Thursday’s local elections.

Ms Bishop was responding to the suspension of Labour candidate Alex Braithwaite, who is standing in Wish ward, over comments including Rothschild and Israeli conspiracy theories.

She posted: “Solidarity is all well and good but it’s enough now. We can’t allow this to go on. We need to march about this to the synagogue in Hove, all of us members in Brighton.”

One local member says she reported the comments to the Labour party last week, prompting the city’s synagogues to boost security over Passover.

But it was only after screenshots were published on the Red Roar and Guido Fawkes websites and the Jewish Chronicle yesterday that Ms Bishop was suspended.

A report was also made to Sussex Police, but today the force said it would not be investigating the comments any further and had instead referred them to the local Labour party.

A Sussex Police spokeswoman said: “A matter has been reported to police regarding a suggested march to a Hove synagogue.

“This has been considered and does not constitute a criminal offence; we will not be investigating further. The matter has been referred to the local Labour Party.”

Speaking on behalf of the Sussex Jewish Representative Council, Fiona Sharpe said: “It is totally unacceptable for anyone to suggest marching on a synagogue as a form of protest.

“Change the word synagogue to mosque and watch Ms Bishop and her supporters take to social media in righteous indignation. Why is ok to demonstrate such naked aggression towards the Jewish Community?

“We are a small ageing community, who feel very vulnerable given yet another case of antisemitism in our city.

“Coming only a few days after yet another murder in a place of worship – this time a synagogue again – the Jewish community is very concerned.

“While the police are taking no action, they acted swiftly to assess the situation and to reassure us that there was no credible threat.

“I would suggest that people remember that the words they use have an impact and ramifications.

“Suggesting that you march on a synagogue or any place of worship is an incitement to religious hatred and makes you a bigot.”

Several local Labour members – including a handful of candidates – have expressed solidarity and support for Ms Braithwaite. But Ms Bishop’s comments have been overwhelmingly condemned.

This afternoon, Hove MP Peter Kyle said: “I often wander to one of Hove’s four synagogues – to listen, learn and engage with our remarkable Jewish community.

“The idea of ‘marching’ to one to intimidate and blame a congregation for an attempt to actually *tackle* racism, in an instance *unrelated* to the worshippers, is pure incitement to hate and just plain stupid.

“Once again I’m apologising for something that’s happened within my party and have tried so hard to tackle. I only hope those who are pained by this, made to feel vulnerable by this, can forgive us once more and support those trying to deliver the change we all need to happen.”

Brighton Kemptown MP Lloyd Russell-Moyle said yesterday: “This is anti-Semitism and not acceptable in our society and our party; no excuses.”

Leader of the council, Labour Cllr Dan Yates, told members of the city’s Jewish community on Twitter: “It’s totally appalling. And what’s worse is that it makes communities feel less safe. For no fault at all.

I’m ashamed of this, as the leader of the city council but also as a human being.

“I will continue to oppose this ignorant and unacceptable anti-Semitism in the party I love and the city I love.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Jean Smith says:
    7 years ago

    The thing about prejudice is that it’s usually based on ignorance. Amanda Bishop, for example, seems unaware that there are at least four synagogues in Hove. And she seems unaware that her colleague Alex Braithwaite was suspended by Labour not the synagogue. Perhaps a march on Labour HQ would have been more appropriate. She certainly seems unaware that her call to march on the synagogue carries uncomfortable reminders of 1930s Germany.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Former Brighton teacher awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13

Pub tile developer asks court to make council pay his costs

Palm house turned into butterfly garden

Phone-free restaurant finds permanent home

Police to take no action against Labour member who called for march on synagogue

New bus route to start next month

Opposition overlooked and left in the dark, says councillor

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

Hospital marks £860m project’s helipad and cancer milestones

Councillors vote to close oldest school in Brighton

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Max Cooper announces two 3D/AV shows

Max Cooper announces two 3D/AV shows

24 May 2026
Here’s a night out not to be missed!

Here’s a night out not to be missed!

24 May 2026
Irvine Welsh, Men In Love, Charleston Festival, 23rd May 2026

Irvine Welsh Delights The Charleston Festival

24 May 2026
Oh To Believe in Another World: Shostakovich Symphony No.10

Oh To Believe In Another World

23 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Welbeck double sinks Liverpool at Brighton and Hove Albion

Welbeck deserves a World Cup place, says Brighton and Hove Albion boss

by PA sport staff
23 May 2026
0

Danny Welbeck deserves a place in the England World Cup squad, according to Brighton and Hove Albion head coach Fabian...

Sussex Sharks open T20 Blast with a win

Sussex off to a winning start in the Blast

by Martin Smith - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 May 2026
0

Essex 191-5 (20 overs) Sussex Sharks 192-4 (16 overs) Sussex Sharks win by 6 wickets John Simpson hurried Sussex Sharks...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Load More
April 2019
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930  
« Mar   May »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Woman dies as car and motorbikes crash 24 May 2026
  • Former assistant head awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13 23 May 2026
  • Biggest hospital in Sussex marks two key milestones 22 May 2026
  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News