• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton couple have hopes of building retirement bungalow dashed for fifth time

by Frank le Duc
Saturday 30 Jul, 2011 at 11:30PM
A A
0

An elderly couple have had their hopes dashed of building a retirement bungalow next to their house in Patcham.

Raymond Counsell, 82, and Ray Counsell, 74, of Ridgeside Avenue, said that they were finding the steep steps up to their present home increasingly difficult and the garden too big.

They want to stay in the cul de sac where they have lived for 44 years.

So the couple applied for planning permission to replace their garage with a chalet-style one-bedroom property with a garage attached.

It is their fifth application in six years. All four previous proposals failed to win approval.

The couple appealed twice to the independent Planning Inspectorate but in each case lost their appeal, most recently in November last year.

Mr Counsell said: “We are not property developers. We want to move into the bungalow and we hope our son will live in the house.”

Some 21 letters opposing the Counsells’ proposal were sent to planners although Mr Counsell said: “We traced ten letters of objection to teachers and staff at Dorothy Stringer School.”

He said that one of his neighbours had worked at the school.

Nine letters of support were sent in.

A report to Brighton and Hove City Council Planning Committee recommended that members refuse planning permission because

  • the small plot is an awkward shape
  • the proposed development is out of character with the surrounding area
  • the development appears cramped within the plot
  • the layout fails to reflect the spacious character of the area
  • the garden would not be big enough compared with neighbouring back gardens
  • the proposal is not sustainable enough

The report said: “The development fails to enhance the positive qualities of the neighbourhood and is out of character with the surrounding area which is predominantly spacious in character with the benefit generous rear gardens.”

Councillor Brian Pidgeon, one of three Conservative ward councillors representing Patcham, spoke at the planning committee meeting on Wednesday 20 July.

He said: “Ward councillors have been contacted by many concerned residents.

“The site is too small for the building that is proposed.

“Parking has always been a problem. There are 11 vehicles attached to the six houses in the close. There are only two legitimate parking places.”

Luke Carter, a director of Lewis & Co Planning, which represented the Counsells, said that an extra parking space would be created.

Mr Carter said that if the proposed property was built then the gardens would be far from the smallest in the neighbourhood.

He also said that the previous application was designed to a more sustainable standard but the design was one of the reasons that the application was turned down on appeal.

He added that the new design had been worked up in consultation with planning officials.

The planning committee rejected the application unanimously.

Afterwards the Counsells said that they would again be considering an appeal.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council plans to house more homeless families in council flats

Toilet tax plan to hit those in greatest need, say critics

Parents angry over failings that led to school closure plan

Council plans to close day centre for people with learning disabilities

School building to become temporary charity hub

Ex-PM sends claims about former prince to Sussex Police

Brighton couple have hopes of building retirement bungalow dashed for fifth time

Hospital marks milestone in £62m A&E modernisation

Brighton PC barred from policing for dishonesty

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

20 February 2026
It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

20 February 2026
Brighton Festival at 60

Brighton Festival at 60

19 February 2026
Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

19 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

by George Sessions - PA
21 February 2026
0

Brentford 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 2 Brighton and Hove Albion marked James Milner’s record-breaking 654th Premier League appearance with...

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

by Frank le Duc
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are to start with four changes at Brentford to the side that lost to Liverpool in...

Hürzeler says Brighton and Hove Albion may need to ‘win ugly’

Brighton and Hove Albion boss urges everyone to stay positive

by PA sport staff
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has urged everyone involved with the club to stay positive despite the side’s...

Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Load More
July 2011
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Jun   Aug »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Driver arrested after man dies in crash late last night 21 February 2026
  • Ex-PM sends memo about former prince to Sussex Police 20 February 2026
  • Teenage BMW driver banned – again 19 February 2026
  • Gross misconduct found after police officer deceived vetting 19 February 2026
  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News