• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton Hippodrome mothballed as future remains uncertain

by Jo Wadsworth
Tuesday 21 Apr, 2015 at 9:43AM
A A
0
Brighton Hippodrome mothballed as future remains uncertain

New steel door covers and fences are being put up around the Brighton Hippodrome to protect it from squatters as its future remains uncertain.

Hippodrome security fenceThe former theatre, which once played host to the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, was set to be converted into a cinema, shops and restaurants despite a campaign to reopen it for live performances.

But when one of the partners, Vue, pulled out the scheme was put on ice.

Now, leaseholder Live Nation is applying for part-retrospective permission to install higher security at the site after having started to install it late last year.

The application, written by chartered surveyors Michael Jackson Consulting, says:”The reason behind these security measures are because of people attempting to gain access to the building, presumably to squat, as it is empty and seen as an easy target.

“The installations would consist of a perimeter anti-climb fence on top of an existing 7ft wall, similar anti-climb fences on top of low level entrances preventing access to the roof levels, a 3m tall Betafence with gate to the rear of the Palm Tree Court area of the building further preventing access to the high level roof areas, and another Betafence to the side of the rear car park separating an entrance to a nearby unrelated office.

“As well as these fences, steel covers are to be installed over the doors and low level windows on the Middle Street elevation both internally and externally to prevent further break-ins.”

Paul Zenon of the Save Our Hippodrome campaign said: “Before the fences went up recently, they’d had round the clock security with dog patrols since Christmas time – having a manned patrol is very expensive.

“There’s a safety issue with the ceiling and if squatters get injured it would be their responsibility insurance-wise.

“The worrying thing is that with this planning application it sounds like they just want to fall apart until it’s too late to do anything with it.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Brighton Hippodrome mothballed as future remains uncertain

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Load More
April 2015
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930  
« Mar   May »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News