• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton church to be pulled down to make way for 24 homes

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 11 Oct, 2017 at 3:29PM
A A
2
Brighton church to be pulled down to make way for 24 homes

The old Montpelier Place Baptist Church

A Brighton church is to be demolished to make way for 24 homes, after planning permission was granted this afternoon (Wednesday 11 October).

The Montpelier Place Baptist Tabernacle, which was built in the 1960s, closed five years ago, has fallen into disrepair and been vandalised after being squatted more than once.

The old Montpelier Place Baptist Church

Planning permission has been given for a three-storey block of five affordable flats, a terrace of five four-storey town houses and a five-storey block containing 14 flats.

Housing officials initially objected to the proposal because it included too few affordable homes. The district valuer, however, accepted that five of the homes – or 20 per cent – was acceptable. The policy locally is for schemes of this size to include 40 per cent.

The three-storey block would be red brick, like neighbouring buildings to the west. The five-storey block would have a traditional render with a painted finish to fit in with buildings to the east.

More than 50 objectors wrote to Brighton and Hove City Council which also received a petition containing 50 signatures. Six people wrote in to support the scheme.

One objector, planning consultant David Hutchison, addressed the council’s Planning Committee on behalf of the Brighton and Hove Islamic Cultural Centre, which is currently based at Al-Medinah Mosque, in Bedford Place, Brighton.

Mr Hutchison said that the group hoped to build an Islamic cultural centre on the site which would include space for a mosque.

He said that the site had been in continuous religious use for over 200 years. It was for many years the site of the Emanuel Reformed Episcopal Church.

The previous owner, the Grace Baptist Trust Corporation, sold the building earlier this year for just over £3 million for a high-density residential redevelopment.

Planners were told that the corporation had not offered it for sale for continued community use at any time since it was vacated as a Baptist tabernacle.

But the council’s planning policy aimed to prevent the loss of community space, he said, including places of worship.

The plans presented to the Planning Committee, at Hove Town Hall, this afternoon included 115 square metres of space for community use compared – much less than previously.

But Richard Mason, a partner for the architects Crowther Associates, said that planning policy allowed for a scheme to include a reduced quantity of community space when it resulted in increased quality.

He accepted that no tenant for the community space had yet been found but said that the plans proposed “a sensitive redevelopment of the site”.

An artist’s impression of the Montpelier Place frontage of the proposed scheme

Mr Mason said: “The site has recently been squatted, vandalised and left in a semi-derelict state”

He added that the church that sold the site would use the proceeds to support other churches, including upgrading buildings.

The scheme would, he said, provide 19 open market and five affordable units as well as seven car parking and 42 bike parking spaces on the site. It covers just over a third of an acre (0.14 hectares).

The conditions for granting permission include financial contributions from the developer totalling £168,000.

The money would be used to support education, employment, transport and recreation, open space and indoor sports provision locally.

The applicant, Mortar Nova Developments, of Ditchling Road, Brighton, hope to start work as soon as possible and finish building the homes within 18 months.

Planning Committee members approved the scheme by eight votes to one.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. Christopher Hawtree says:
    8 years ago

    I happened to cycle past it the other day and thought that the site is bleak, very 1960s, and that better use could be made of the large space. That said, the proposed design has an off-the-peg look.

    Reply
  2. Peter King says:
    4 months ago

    What happened to the Pastor Stephen Novak ???

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council plans to house more homeless families in council flats

Parents angry over failings that led to school closure plan

Toilet tax plan to hit those in greatest need, say critics

Council plans to close day centre for people with learning disabilities

Ex-PM sends claims about former prince to Sussex Police

Brighton church to be pulled down to make way for 24 homes

Hospital marks milestone in £62m A&E modernisation

School building to become temporary charity hub

Brighton PC barred from policing for dishonesty

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Mogwai offer ‘Happy Songs For Happy People’ at Brighton concert

Mogwai offer ‘Happy Songs For Happy People’ at Brighton concert

22 February 2026
Bloodworm set to bring their Goth Post-Punk sound back to Brighton

Bloodworm set to bring their Goth Post-Punk sound back to Brighton

22 February 2026
Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

20 February 2026
It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

20 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

by George Sessions - PA
21 February 2026
0

Brentford 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 2 Brighton and Hove Albion marked James Milner’s record-breaking 654th Premier League appearance with...

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

by Frank le Duc
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are to start with four changes at Brentford to the side that lost to Liverpool in...

Hürzeler says Brighton and Hove Albion may need to ‘win ugly’

Brighton and Hove Albion boss urges everyone to stay positive

by PA sport staff
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has urged everyone involved with the club to stay positive despite the side’s...

Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Load More
October 2017
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031  
« Sep   Nov »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Driver arrested after man dies in crash late last night 21 February 2026
  • Ex-PM sends memo about former prince to Sussex Police 20 February 2026
  • Teenage BMW driver banned – again 19 February 2026
  • Gross misconduct found after police officer deceived vetting 19 February 2026
  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News