A controversial parking permit scheme for Hanover and Elm Grove could be revived.
The decision to scrap plans for controlled parking in the area has been “called-in” for review by four members of Brighton and Hove City Council.
The quartet of Green Party councillors, led by Pete West, said the original decision was flawed because it was based on a consultation which was skewed by opposition to the scheme from people who did not own cars.
They said this meant residents in some streets which had been in favour of controls were losing out.
Councillor Geoffrey Theobald, the council’s cabinet member for transport, decided in July not to introduce the scheme after opposition from three-quarters of respondents to the consultation.
There have since been reports some residents felt intimidated by others campaigning for and against the permits, with some claiming they had received death threats.
The scheme would mean the introduction of a mixture of pay and display and residents’ only parking bays. Residents would have to buy permits to use the spaces each year.
The “call-in” will be considered by the council’s Environment and Community Safety Overview and Scrutiny Committee at Brighton Town Hall at 5pm on Tuesday (October 5).
The committee will vote on whether to request Coun Theobald to reconsider his decision.
Coun West, who represents the St Peter’s and North Laine ward, was backed in his request by councillors Ben Duncan, Rachel Fryer and Paul Steedman, who all represent the Queen’s Park ward next to Hanover and Elm Grove.
None of the three Green councillors for Hanover and Elm Grove added their names to the call-in request.
LIKE WHAT WE DO? HELP US TO DO MORE OF IT BY DONATING HERE.