Brighton man suffers facial burns

Posted On 18 Nov 2010 at 3:05 pm

A Brighton man suffered burns to his face as he refilled an ornamental burner with lighter fuel after he thought it had gone out.

The man, 25, from the Queen’s Park area of Brighton, was given first aid at the scene by members of a fire crew.

He was then taken to the Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton by ambulance for treatment after the incident which happened at about 8.30pm last night.

He has since been discharged.

East Sussex Fire and Rescue sent crews from Roedean and Hove to the ground floor flat where the injured man’s housemates had put out the flames.

Watch Manager Spencer Bartley: “I have never come across this type of device before and was struggling to come up with a name for it, other than an ornamental fire burner.

“I would just like to say to others to follow the manufacturer’s guidance and treat it like a firework and don’t return to it until it has gone cold.

“The man thought it was extinguished when he refilled it but it flared up in his face.

“We gave first aid by treating the burns on his face with burns gel until the ambulance crew arrived and took him to hospital.

“The sudden flare-up caused hot spots of fire and firefighters spent time removing floorboards to ensure that the fire was completely out.”

  1. Vodka Man Reply

    NOT ME THIS TIME!!!

Leave a Reply

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.