Candle sets fire to Hove flat

Posted On 30 Nov 2010 at 9:04 am

A 20-year-old Hove man was taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation after a fire at his flat caused by a burning candle placed on a computer printer.

A smoke alarm woke the sleeping man, who found that the candle had burnt down destroying his printer.

Firefighters from Hove and Preston Circus fire stations were called to the ground floor flat in Albany Villas, Hove yesterday morning shortly before 7am.

East Sussex Fire and Rescue crews used breathing apparatus and a hose reel jet to tackle the blaze.

Spacewords Brighton

They were there until just before 8am.

Station Commander Ron Kirkwood said: “If the fire alarm hadn’t done its job the injuries suffered would have been far more serious.

“I would urge people to use extreme caution when using candles.

“Candle safety is important at any time of the year but at Christmas people tend to get candles out more.

“Make sure they are properly extinguished and don’t put them near soft furnishings or decorations.”

Leave a Reply

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.