• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Doctor elected to run new Brighton and Hove GP consortium

by Frank le Duc
Friday 8 Apr, 2011 at 12:27PM
A A
0

Xavier Nalletamby has been elected chairman of the Brighton and Hove transitional GP Consortium.

About 135 of some 400 eligible family doctors, practice nurses and practice managers voted in the contest for the £90,000-a-year role.

The majority chose Dr Nalletamby, of St Peter’s Medical Centre, in Oxford Street, Brighton, who has worked locally for 25 years.

Dr Manas Sikdar, of Albion Street Surgery in Albion Street, Brighton, was runner up.

The job, which is expected to take three days a week, is crucial to the government’s proposed reforms of the National Health Service.

The new chairman will be expected to be the public voice of Brighton and Hove GPs and to be able to explain the reforms affecting the NHS.

The reforms are contained in the Health and Social Care Bill.

Prime Minister David Cameron said this week that the bill would be put on hold for a few months while the government conducted a listening exercise.

Many in the medical profession have concerns about the reforms, even those who believe that the present arrangements need to be improved.

Opposition

The Conservatives’ coalition partners, the Liberal Democrats, have expressed opposition to the reforms.

And before the general election last year the Tories promised no more top-down reforms of the NHS, which has been reorganised several times over the past 20 years.

Andrew Lansley, the Health Secretary, said that his reforms would bring greater public accountability to the NHS.

He also said that it would give family doctors – GPs – a much stronger role in deciding what services were necessary and how much they should cost.

One reason for this is that ministers want fewer patients treated in hospitals because they believe that it is cheaper and sometimes more effective to treat them at or nearer to home.

At the moment GPs operate as individuals and by surgery, with spending and commissioning decisions taken by each area’s primary care trust (PCT).

The government wants to abolish PCTs – and the regional strategic health authorities (SHAs) – in part to save money on administration.

Locally, the GP consortium will take on much of the work of Brighton and Hove City Teaching PCT – also known as NHS Brighton and Hove – when it is abolished.

The South East Coast SHA based in Horley is also due to be scrapped.

Communication

Before he was elected Dr Nalletamby said that he would work to “improve communication and efficiency”.

Dr Nalletamby said: ““We need to restart a GP discussion forum in some form and an interface with our consultant colleagues.

“Patients need to be consulted better through practice-based patient participation groups and this work has already begun.

“We will need to explore and expand the ways in which we communicate with the public.

“Like the rest of the public sector, we must reduce waste and our spending has to buy more.

“There cannot be any reduction in quality.

“We have to tackle some of the wasteful inefficiencies in the health system which we all know about but have not had the support to resolve.”

The election was organised by the local medical committee (LMC).

Dr Julius Parker, chief executive of Surrey and Sussex LMCs, wrote to those eligible to vote to say that Dr Nalletamby had won.

A spokesman said: “It is not LMC policy to provide the numbers of votes cast per candidate.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council plans to house more homeless families in council flats

Toilet tax plan to hit those in greatest need, say critics

Parents angry over failings that led to school closure plan

Council plans to close day centre for people with learning disabilities

School building to become temporary charity hub

Ex-PM sends claims about former prince to Sussex Police

Doctor elected to run new Brighton and Hove GP consortium

Hospital marks milestone in £62m A&E modernisation

Brighton PC barred from policing for dishonesty

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

20 February 2026
It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

20 February 2026
Brighton Festival at 60

Brighton Festival at 60

19 February 2026
Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

19 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

by George Sessions - PA
21 February 2026
0

Brentford 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 2 Brighton and Hove Albion marked James Milner’s record-breaking 654th Premier League appearance with...

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

by Frank le Duc
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are to start with four changes at Brentford to the side that lost to Liverpool in...

Hürzeler says Brighton and Hove Albion may need to ‘win ugly’

Brighton and Hove Albion boss urges everyone to stay positive

by PA sport staff
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has urged everyone involved with the club to stay positive despite the side’s...

Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Load More
April 2011
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930  
« Mar   May »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Driver arrested after man dies in crash late last night 21 February 2026
  • Ex-PM sends memo about former prince to Sussex Police 20 February 2026
  • Teenage BMW driver banned – again 19 February 2026
  • Gross misconduct found after police officer deceived vetting 19 February 2026
  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News