• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Doctor elected to run new Brighton and Hove GP consortium

by Frank le Duc
Friday 8 Apr, 2011 at 12:27PM
A A
0

Xavier Nalletamby has been elected chairman of the Brighton and Hove transitional GP Consortium.

About 135 of some 400 eligible family doctors, practice nurses and practice managers voted in the contest for the £90,000-a-year role.

The majority chose Dr Nalletamby, of St Peter’s Medical Centre, in Oxford Street, Brighton, who has worked locally for 25 years.

Dr Manas Sikdar, of Albion Street Surgery in Albion Street, Brighton, was runner up.

The job, which is expected to take three days a week, is crucial to the government’s proposed reforms of the National Health Service.

The new chairman will be expected to be the public voice of Brighton and Hove GPs and to be able to explain the reforms affecting the NHS.

The reforms are contained in the Health and Social Care Bill.

Prime Minister David Cameron said this week that the bill would be put on hold for a few months while the government conducted a listening exercise.

Many in the medical profession have concerns about the reforms, even those who believe that the present arrangements need to be improved.

Opposition

The Conservatives’ coalition partners, the Liberal Democrats, have expressed opposition to the reforms.

And before the general election last year the Tories promised no more top-down reforms of the NHS, which has been reorganised several times over the past 20 years.

Andrew Lansley, the Health Secretary, said that his reforms would bring greater public accountability to the NHS.

He also said that it would give family doctors – GPs – a much stronger role in deciding what services were necessary and how much they should cost.

One reason for this is that ministers want fewer patients treated in hospitals because they believe that it is cheaper and sometimes more effective to treat them at or nearer to home.

At the moment GPs operate as individuals and by surgery, with spending and commissioning decisions taken by each area’s primary care trust (PCT).

The government wants to abolish PCTs – and the regional strategic health authorities (SHAs) – in part to save money on administration.

Locally, the GP consortium will take on much of the work of Brighton and Hove City Teaching PCT – also known as NHS Brighton and Hove – when it is abolished.

The South East Coast SHA based in Horley is also due to be scrapped.

Communication

Before he was elected Dr Nalletamby said that he would work to “improve communication and efficiency”.

Dr Nalletamby said: ““We need to restart a GP discussion forum in some form and an interface with our consultant colleagues.

“Patients need to be consulted better through practice-based patient participation groups and this work has already begun.

“We will need to explore and expand the ways in which we communicate with the public.

“Like the rest of the public sector, we must reduce waste and our spending has to buy more.

“There cannot be any reduction in quality.

“We have to tackle some of the wasteful inefficiencies in the health system which we all know about but have not had the support to resolve.”

The election was organised by the local medical committee (LMC).

Dr Julius Parker, chief executive of Surrey and Sussex LMCs, wrote to those eligible to vote to say that Dr Nalletamby had won.

A spokesman said: “It is not LMC policy to provide the numbers of votes cast per candidate.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Doctor elected to run new Brighton and Hove GP consortium

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Conservation charity urges companies to use native wildflowers in displays

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Grieving parents concerned as maternity services told to improve again

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
April 2011
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930  
« Mar   May »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News