• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
17 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Deal to help unemployed youngsters in Brighton and Hove collapses

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 3 Aug, 2011 at 11:30PM
A A
1

A deal to help unemployed people find jobs across Brighton and Hove has fallen through at the final hurdle.

Brighton and Hove City Council had been expected to sign the deal with a company called Avanta to tackle youth unemployment under the government’s Work Programme initiative.

Latest figures suggest that 1,500 young people are claiming jobseeker’s allowance in Brighton and Hove.

Avanta, which specialises in helping the unemployed to find work, would have paid the council to act as a sub-contractor under the deal.

The council would have been paid by results in an area where it says that it already has a reasonable track record.

Success was to be measured by each month that a young person stayed in a job, with payments made every month up to 13 months.

Each failure – each young person leaving a job in which the council had placed them – would have cost the council a sum of money up to a figure just short of £3,000.

And this would come on top of the cost of employing a team of staff to run the scheme.

Avanta’s role was to refer unemployed young people to the council so the council could place them in work but the contract did not set out a viable minimum number.

Risk

This increased the financial risk to the council.

Once officers became aware of the extent of the financial risk, they asked for permission to call off the deal.

This evening (Wednesday 3 August) they were given permission by Councillor Amy Kennedy, the council’s cabinet member for planning, employment, economy and regeneration.

She was told that there was a risk of the council losing more than the £100,000 contingency money that it had set aside for the scheme.

A report recommending that the council calls off its talks with Avanta can be found here.

The proposed five-year contract with Avanta was tied to a two-year deal relying on European Union (EU) funds.

Councillor Kennedy, the Green deputy leader of the council, this evening asked officers to work urgently towards finding alternative ways of keeping hold of the EU funding.

Even more money – £2 million – is at stake with the EU project.

But officers advised Councillor Kennedy that the contracts with the other local authorities taking part in the scheme made it less likely that the council would be landed with a hefty bill.

The project could help cut graduate unemployment over two years and, at the same time, earn revenue for the council.

The ending of talks with Avanta and the risk to the EU funding was criticised by the Conservatives’ finance spokesman Councillor Ann Norman.

She said that the Avanta deal could have helped almost 400 young people find sustainable long-term employment.

And she added that the risk of losing the EU funding could cost 100 graduate jobs in the area.

Incompetence

Councillor Norman said: “This whole episode smacks of incompetence on the part of the new Green administration.

“It appears that they failed to gain answers from Avanta on such basic questions as what the council would be expected to deliver as a sub-contractor and what the arrangements would be for pulling out of the contract.

“Our partners in the city, who have put a lot of their own time and effort into this project, must be wondering what on earth is going on.

“Are they likely to want to work with us in the future if they think they will be left high and dry again?”

She said that the Greens had also failed to spell out exactly how these work and apprenticeship opportunities would now be provided, merely stating that “alternative arrangements” would need to be put in place.

She added: “We have a number of excellent community and voluntary sector organisations in the city who help young unemployed people back into work.

“I would like to see a much greater role for them as part of the government’s Work Programme.

“It is a great shame that these vulnerable young people now face even greater uncertainty and stress as a result of the way the Green administration has handled this whole episode.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Aaa says:
    15 years ago

    I can’t believe that the hapless Green Council are acting to keep 400 young people out of jobs. Shame on them.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Deal to help unemployed youngsters in Brighton and Hove collapses

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Ghibli comes to Brighton

Three sentenced over Brighton firearms offences

Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury Flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ celebrates 30th anniversary as punk rock turns 50 – Day Two Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ celebrates 30th anniversary as punk rock turns 50 – Day Two Report

14 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
August 2011
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
« Jul   Sep »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
  • Police declare major incident as two people badly hurt when train derails 13 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News