• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Wind farm firm brings plans to Brighton

by Frank le Duc
Monday 19 Sep, 2011 at 10:21PM
A A
0

The energy company behind plans to build a wind farm off the Brighton and Hove coast is holding an information day in the city next week.

Eon plans to set up a stall at the farmers’ market in Churchill Square, Brighton, from 9am to 5pm a week on Wednesday (28 September).

The company holds the exclusive rights to apply to build a wind farm – known as the Rampion wind farm – between 8 to 15 miles out to sea.

It said that the site had the potential to supply about 430,000 homes with renewable electricity.

The company was due to hold an information day at Hillcrest Community Centre in Newhaven today and another in Henfield Village Hall from noon to 8pm tomorrow (Tuesday 20 September).

Another two information events are scheduled in Worthing on Wednesday (21 September).

The first is from 9am to 5pm in South Street Square near the entrance to the Guildbourne Centre, at the junction of South Street and Warwick Street.

The second is on the south side of Worthing Station from 5.30pm to 8pm.

Chris Tomlinson, Eon project developer, said: “We’ll be formally consulting the community on our draft proposals later in the year but, before we do, we’re holding public information events to introduce the project to the local community.”

The company recently submitted a planning application to install a 330ft – or 100m – meteorological mast at the site to measure wind speeds and gather other offshore environmental data.

Mr Tomlinson said: “We’re continuing to carry out environmental and technical survey work for the site.

“But our findings so far support our initial view that this is an ideal location for a wind farm.

“The offshore mast will collect valuable wind speed data that will help to confirm this as well as measuring wave heights and sea currents, which will help us to design the best possible site layout for this location.”

Eon already owns and operates three offshore wind farms off the British coast at

  • Blyth in Northumberland – Britain’s first offshore wind farm
  • Scroby Sands off the coast of Great Yarmouth in Norfolk
  • Robin Rigg in the Solway Firth

Brighton and Hove City Council has set up a page on its website to keep people informed about the project.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

New bus route to start next month

Palm house turned into butterfly garden

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

Pub tile developer asks court to make council pay his costs

Wind farm firm brings plans to Brighton

Councillors vote to close oldest school in Brighton

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Odeon developer asks permission for 12-month ad shroud

Phone-free restaurant gets permanent home

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Whisky Tango Foxtrot, Lantern Theatre, Brighton Fringe, May 22&23rd 2026

Review: Whisky Tango Foxtrot!

23 May 2026
The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 7: 29 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 7: 29 reviews)

22 May 2026
The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 6: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 6: 25 reviews)

22 May 2026
The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 5: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 5: 25 reviews)

22 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
September 2011
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  
« Aug   Oct »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
  • Three months of work to start at railway station 20 May 2026
  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News