Hove is to have a new secondary school from September next year.
The parents behind the plan for a new Church of England school learnt the news this morning (Friday 13 July).
They are working with the Russell Education Trust to turn their plans into reality.
Sue Worthing, one of the parents who has been promoting the proposed school, said: “I’m absolutely thrilled. We’re pleased to be able to do something really positive for the local community.”
“We would like to put the school on the King Alfred site.
“We would like to work with the council to enhance that site for the school and the community’s use.
“The New Church Road area is the least well-served for secondary school places so it makes sense.”
She said that she and her colleagues had been working with the church’s Diocesan Board of Education to learn from the outstanding primary and secondary schools in the county.
And she added: “The hard work really starts now.”
Councillor Andrew Wealls, a member of Brighton and Hove City Council who has supported the King’s School parents, said: “I’m very pleased it’s been approved.
“A brand new Church of England school will be a very welcome and complimentary addition to the schools in the city.”
He said that he hoped that the draft City Plan would be amended to allow for a school on the King Alfred site.
He said that there was little provision for school places in the draft City Plan despite the pressing need.
With 400 homes planned for the King Alfred, he said that there should be no new homes without the necessary supporting infrastructure.
His Conservative colleague Councillor Graham Cox was one of the first people to tweet his congratulations.
He said: “I know people have different views on church schools but it is a bit of an anomaly that we don’t have a Church of England secondary school.
“I look forward to hearing more of the plans and the practicalities. They’ve put a lot of hard work in to get this far and I congratulate them. I’m really pleased for them.”