Dogs save woman from Hove flat fire

Posted On 25 Aug 2012 at 12:34 pm

A Hove woman’s dogs woke her after her flat caught fire, saving her life as she didn’t have a smoke alarm.

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service sent two fire engines from Hove to the fire in the loft space of the flat in Cambridge Grove ay about 3.45am yesterday (Friday 24 August).

The fire was alight and two more fire engines and the aerial ladder platform were sent from Preston Circus, Brighton.

Three more fire engines were sent from Roedean, Shoreham and Seaford.

The fire service said that the dogs barked and woke the woman who lived there, enabling her to escape.

Mark Rist, the Brighton and Hove borough commander, said: “The occupier of the property was extremely fortunate to be woken up by her dogs as there was not a working smoke alarm in the property.

“This incident highlights how important it is to have a working smoke alarm.

“In the event of a fire, it will give you valuable seconds to escape from the property. It could save your family’s lives.”

He urged anyone wanting advice on fire safety in the home to contact the fire service’s community safety department 0800 177 7069.

 

Leave a Reply

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.