• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Furore over Labour’s botched attempt to ‘fix’ safe Brighton seat

by Frank le Duc
Friday 21 Mar, 2014 at 6:26AM
A A
4

Anger has erupted over a selection contest for one of the safest Labour wards in Brighton – amid claims that it was an attempted “fix” to ensure the party’s favoured candidate was chosen.

The sequence of events is set out in the Brighton and Hove Independent free weekly newspaper today (Friday 21 March).

The three sitting councillors in Moulsecoomb and Bevendean – along with two other potential candidates – were hoping to be chosen to stand in the local elections next year.

Whoever the ward party picked could be almost certain of becoming a member of Brighton and Hove City Council in May next year. They would have a four-year term as a councillor ahead of them.

But despite just 10 people voting, a recount was needed – and it brought to light a miscount.

And then two of the candidates tied, with a run-off now looking likely.

Councillor Anne Meadows
Councillor Anne Meadows

Eight local branch members turned out for the three-hour meeting at the Bevendean Church Hall in Norwich Drive, Bevendean.

They were joined by the five candidates and four members of the executive committee of Brighton, Hove and District Labour Party – including Melanie Davies, the city party’s chair.

The local branch used to need just seven for a quorum: the minimum number of people required for the meeting to be valid.

But one of the executive committee members said that the quorum should be 10 – so two executive committee members took part in the meeting and, crucially, the voting.

They were Peter van Vliet, the local party treasurer, and John Warmington, his predecessor.

Mr van Vliet said that the result of the first secret ballot saw Councillor Leigh Farrow top the poll, with Harris Fitch second and Councillor Mo Marsh third.

Christine Robinson was said to have come fourth and former mayor Councillor Anne Meadows fifth.

Robert Brown, who was chairing the meeting, called for a recount.

This found that Councillor Meadows and Christine Robinson had, in fact, tied – with Councillor Meadows winning the run-off.

Subsequently, she posted details of her victory on the Labour Party’s Facebook page but the posts were promptly deleted.

So instead, she tweeted her victory – even though the party has yet to announce the result.

Councillor Mo Marsh
Councillor Mo Marsh

The next vote saw Councillor Farrow come first and Councillor Meadows second. Councillor Marsh, who topped the poll at the last elections in 2011, tied with Mr Fitch, whose family have long links to the local Labour Party and the council.

For several months, the youngest in the Fitch dynasty, had been said by insiders to be favourite to get the seat.

Another vote was held and they tied again. A local party member asked one of the executive committee members to abstain so that the final candidate could be chosen. Mr Warmington said that this was against the rules.

It transpired that both executive committee members were voting for Mr Fitch, a relative of veteran councillor Brian Fitch, whose father Stan was also a Brighton Council stalwart.

The farcical proceedings came hours after the local party posted news that former Brighton and Hove Albion chief executive Martin Perry was to be a candidate in the city.

A party source said that Mr Perry would be found as safe a seat as possible. However, the selection process has been completed in the only other safe Labour seats in Brighton and Hove – in East Brighton and North and South Portslade.

The announcement followed a series of anxious moments for members in the ward.

Late last year Councillor Farrow was told that he had not been chosen for the candidates list. He appealed and was restored to the list.

And last summer Councillor Meadows was suspended after an anonymous claim that a gift had gone missing while she was mayor. No evidence could be found to support any wrongdoing on her part.

Labour’s regional director Malcolm Powers is expected to order a run-off between Councillor Marsh and Mr Fitch.

Mr Powers and Mr Brown were unavailable for comment. Councillor Marsh declined to comment and Councillor Meadows would say only that she was honoured and delighted to have been reselected.

In contrast to the official silence in Moulsecoomb and Bevendean, the result of the Queen’s Park ward party selection was shared online.

The party announced that three candidates had been chosen: Adrian Morris, Karen Barford and Dan Chapman.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 4

  1. Rostrum says:
    12 years ago

    10 people voting … A real ground swell of popular support ….

    Reply
  2. Rostrum says:
    12 years ago

    10 people voting … A real ground swell of popular support ….

    Reply
  3. Seasider says:
    12 years ago

    “Subsequently, she posted details of her victory on the Labour Party’s Facebook page but the posts were promptly deleted.”

    Er, these multiple posts by someone else with the surname Meadows in the “Posts By Others” section?

    http://www.facebook.com/BrightonHoveLabour

    Reply
  4. Seasider says:
    12 years ago

    “Subsequently, she posted details of her victory on the Labour Party’s Facebook page but the posts were promptly deleted.”

    Er, these multiple posts by someone else with the surname Meadows in the “Posts By Others” section?

    http://www.facebook.com/BrightonHoveLabour

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Smoke control area to cover almost all of Brighton and Hove

First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Brighton

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

New bus route to start next month

Tenant faces arson charge after fire damages council flat

Sussex Police officer denies child sex offences and perverting justice

Furore over Labour’s botched attempt to ‘fix’ safe Brighton seat

Facelift planned for shop which has been empty for five years

Odeon developer asks permission for 12-month ad shroud

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
It’s worth taking a look at Takkuuk – Review

It’s worth taking a look at Takkuuk – Review

21 May 2026
The Great Escape Festival and beyond (Part 1: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival and beyond (Part 1: 25 reviews)

21 May 2026
Bound By The Wind, Rotunda Bubble, May 24-25th 2026

Bound By The Wind Brings The Story of Mulan

21 May 2026
Godz, Head First Acrobats, Brighton Fringe, May 2026

Godz Of Brighton Fringe

21 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
March 2014
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  
« Feb   Apr »

RSS From Sussex News

  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
  • Three months of work to start at railway station 20 May 2026
  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
  • Child rapist jailed for 13 years 19 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News